Do I Have A Freakin' Chance?

<p>im a sophomore student in some community college in illinois.. i have been looking at Univ of Miami as a transfer school. but the thing is, i still dont know how strong my chances are for getting accepted.
here's my stats:
45 credits completed (upon applying)
3.96 gpa
16 credits in progress
njcaa tennis varsity
4 year ncaa volleyball player
dean's and president's lister
phi theta kappa honor society member
did lots of community service stuff: enrichment program for the blind, habitat for humanity volunteer, special education volunteer teacher, taught impoverished children somewhere in the philippines
voted vice president and public relations officer of the class all through high school
national debate member
kiwanis club
yamaha music masters circle (piano)
*as for my recommendation letters and essay, i dont think ill run into any trouble with those.
i will be applying soon and am absolutely troubled by the fact that i dont have any idea yet whatsoever about my chance of getting in.. i hope some helpful soul out there will give me an insight of where i stand as an applicant with regards to my stats... thanks. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. tell me my chance... reach, match, etc.
THANKS.. I'LL GIVE COOKIES TO THOSE KIND ENOUGH TO HELP EVALUATE MY CHANCES..</p>

<p>Can you tell me why you're interested in UMiami, when you have great shots at better school? </p>

<p>Dude, aim higher. UMiami is a great school, but I dont see why you are interested, esp since you wont qualify for Bright Futures.</p>

<p>thanks. that sure was a flattering reply.. but the thing is, i am not so aware of other good schools. can you help me? if miami isnt a high enough aim (considering my good standing) then what schools should i apply to? please help me. i have to say, im quite ignorant when it comes to selecting a transfer school..</p>

<p>3.96 college GPA, great ECs, and good recs. Do you have decent SAT scores? You should apply to at least one Ivy. If you want schools specifically in FL, UF is a match. Try the top 50 schools.</p>

<p>hey businessfreak.. um, yeah.. thats the problem-- i bombed my SAT's. as a matter of fact, you would not want to heAR what my scores are... ITS THAT BAD.. and i think im setting myself up for a failure by applying to an ivy league school.. (is there anyone more pessimistic than ME?) actually, i would like to go to a top 50 school but i dont know which ones are fit for my stats.. as much as possible, id like to go to cali or florida schools. UC's were my first choice schools but i dont think they'll consider someone from out of state. any suggestions? IM CONFUSED.</p>

<p>Knix, there has to be someone who can help you at your community college. Find a counselor.</p>

<p>dstark, ive done that but the head counselor here does nothing but force my butt to apply for some illinois state school that i dont like. she said "illinois sure can use someone like you."... im like, what?!! so right now, im still struggling to find out which schools would most likely accept me as an applicant... you seem like you know alot.. can you help?</p>

<p>Just out of curiousity knix...what Jr. College? A lot of my son's jr. college credits didn't transfer to UMiami. (Dual credit's through our local Jr. college there in IL). You want to be sure and check with an admissions rep at Miami to see what will and won't transfer. Good Luck....</p>

<p>Your grades look good to me. If you have taken the right courses, I bet you can get into many schools. I would be searching the internet looking at college web sites. Maybe picking up Rugg's Guide, or a Fiske Guide to see which schools are attractive. </p>

<p>School web sites will have the deadlines listed. What is wrong with the Univ. of Illinois?</p>

<p>It is a good idea to contact admission reps at schools where you may be interested in going. Contact information is on the web.</p>

<p>rock valley college in rockford, illinois. the classes ive been taking since i started my freshman year are those from the core curriculum articulation... so im hoping that, since the courses ive taken are general ones, i'll be able to transfer most of them.. you think?</p>

<p>thanks dstark. and um.. ive heard of many good state universities like the UC's.. the question now is, do i have a slim chance of getting into one of the UC's considering the fact that im not a cali resident?</p>

<p>I would think so....but then again, I thought more of my sons would transfer. He had 18 credits when he graduated HS and the only ones that transfered were his foreign language credits. His calc and science classes didn't. :( (We were from way down in Southern IL.) I would definitely talk to a counselor. What will you be studying, and I'll see if I can find out the advisor in that department from my son, and transfer requirements. </p>

<p>I can relate to what your going through. Son's high school counselor was exactly the same way. Pushing the IL colleges, because that was what she knew. Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of fine schools in IL, but son didn't want to stay in IL. I can say with all honesty now, getting out of IL was the best thing for him. He's very happy and has always been so at Miami. </p>

<p>Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions....I'm always glad to share info about the U.</p>

<p>Sure you do. It may not be Berkeley or UCLA. What do you want to major in?</p>

<p>I would contact the admission reps of the UCs you are interersted in...the contact info is definitely on their web sites. </p>

<p>The problem with the UCs are the applications are due tomorrow.</p>

<p>For example....</p>

<p><a href="http://admissions.ucdavis.edu/admissions/application_basics.cfm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://admissions.ucdavis.edu/admissions/application_basics.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>dstark.. it's ok if i dont get into berkeley or LA.. all i wanted was to get into a UC school. i wont be applying until spring of 2006 so im fine with the applications for UC's being due tomorrow. thanks alot. and um, since you got into mentioning berkeley and LA already, which UC schools do you think will accept me, if ever i planned to apply.</p>

<p>knix, I would apply to the ones I would like to go to including Berkeley and UCLA and see what happens.</p>

<p>The Nov 30 deadline is for fall 2006. </p>

<p>If you want to go next Sept. , I guess you are going to be very busy applying online the next two days.</p>

<p>same here.. i'll contact you if ever there's some updates on UM's application process. is your son considering other schools apart from miami? cuz im also interested in cali schools.. the UC system in particular.</p>

<p>thanks for the info dstark.. i hope i can get into a UC school.. doesnt matter what UC school as long as its not riverside.. hehe cuz im also planning to go to pepperdine but from what i heard, its not so good of an idea to go there. they say its a school for the overly religious.</p>

<p>Uh..... Yeah</p>

<p>so its true, eh? what do they mean for the OVERLY religious?.. i can do with a religoius school but what makes one an OVERLY religious schools? is pepperdine a good school?...</p>

<p>Pepperdine is a good school, and it is a religious school.</p>