do i have any chance for engineering or architecure?

<p>hi, i was wondering if i have any chance for tech engineering or architecture...
im an asian female living in virginia.
SAT 1820 READING 510 MATH 720 WRITING 590.
ACT 24 ENGLISH 23 MATH 33 READING 20 SCIENCE 21
SAT2 MATH2C 700 , CHEM taking this jan
TOEFL taking this jan.
GPA 3.86</p>

<p>extra curricular:
dance team 3 years, captain
color guard 1 year
math honor society 3 years
tennis 2 years
spanish honor society 1 year, historian
national honor society 2 years
volunteering in hospital and library for 200+ hours 4 years
key club 4 yrs
piano play in church for 3 years </p>

<p>i actually applied for engineering..
but im also interested i architecture....
how competitive is tech architecture?</p>

<p>I also considered architecture but decided to not do it because I hate being artistic. I like designing buildings and such but having to draw a bunch of “pretty sketches” isn’t my thing. So I’m applying engineering.</p>

<p>But anyway, this is what I have gleaned from online searching and reading. Whether it is 100% correct or not I don’t know… but it is what it is. The first thing I noticed when researching architecture programs was that they aren’t ranked like engineering is. Not currently anyway. They have rankings from something like 5-10 years ago but stopped for god knows what reason. However, in those rankings that I did see VTs Undergrad program was ranked #1 in the country and their grad program was like 7th. They have a kick as program. Whether it is still considered “#1” or not I have no idea but point is that VTs architecture program is still OUTSTANDING. They are highly respected. </p>

<p>That being said it is tough as crap. Consider it in the same tier as MIT and Cal Institute of Tech are for engineering but for the architecture path. I have a friend who went to one of their open houses and said that they don’t even look at people unless they have straight As. I personally think that’s a load of crap and that whoever he talked to was simply trying to scare my friend and set a high standard. Another reason I think its false is that one of the kids from my tennis team is in it now (well 2 years ago he was…). He was probably top ten in his class. Did well in everything he tried. Was he straight As? No, I’m pretty sure he didn’t. But anyway, he’s in there. One of the things he told us was that the program is hard. He pulls over-nighters consistently in the studio. I don’t know how much he socializes and parties around but in HS he had a pretty level head and focused hard. Studied for APs more than anybody I know. So I don’t see him letting it interfere with his studies. IMO its safe to say that pulling over-nighters is a legit statement.</p>

<p>In summary, VTs engineering program is well respected. Look at the rankings. They’re like 10-15th in every specialty. You will do fine if you graduate with an Eng degree from Tech. If you decide to switch to architecture (and are actually able) then you will be just as well off. You can’t go wrong either way. As far as I can tell VT is a perfect school for you. A solid “fit”. I could see you getting in. And when you do you will have plenty of options and avenues. Just don’t F around and get in trouble :)</p>

<p>Hard to tell with admissions to any school- but you are probably aware the two you have targeted- engineering and arch- are the toughest admits at VT. Here are a couple of links about VT architecture program’s admissions that you may find interesting to look at with the admitted numbers vs. applicants/GPAs/SAT scores about half way down the page:</p>

<p>[VT</a> · school of architecture + design · a+d · frequently asked questions-prospective students](<a href=“http://archdesign.vt.edu/students/prospective-students]VT”>http://archdesign.vt.edu/students/prospective-students)</p>

<p>This one is about the school’s recent rankings in 2010 Design Intelligence:</p>

<p>[VT</a> · school of architecture + design · a+d · school programs ranked highly in annual design intelligence rankings: landscape architecture ranked #1](<a href=“http://archdesign.vt.edu/news/2009-10/886]VT”>http://archdesign.vt.edu/news/2009-10/886)</p>

<p>Best of luck to you in your search! (P. S. Being a female applicant is a good thing in what you want to go into!)</p>

<p>I think you are definitely in for engineering, at least. My son is a freshman this year, and in high school he had a 3.67 weighted GPA and a 1870 SAT. He was admitted to University Studies at VT, but not engineering. However, we heard of females with worse qualifications than his who were admitted directly to engineering. I know they want women, so you’re probably gold. My son took the entry-level engineering class (which is limited to engineering students at VT) at the local community college and the rest of the prerequisites VT wanted, and was admitted to the engineering college after fall semester. So even if you don’t make engineering upon admission, it’s easy enough to do after a semester or two without being behind at all.</p>

<p>thank you all for great information!:D</p>