Do I have any Chance of getting in?

<p>Hi, i'm a HS junior with a 3.0 GPA, but this is manly a result of my slacking off during my freshmen/first semester of sophmore year. During my junior year I took AP Calc. AB, AP Physics B, AP U.S. History, Honors English, Astronomy, Oceanography, and VE. In these classes I have all A's and one B, I took my SAT in March so my scores are not back, but on the practice SAT I took online I got High 600's in each area (highest score was in math. As far as EC's I'm in FBLA, Gifted Advisory Board, I volunteers at a hospital, and I'm applied for a summer residential Governor's school program at a in-state university. Next year I'm going to take AP Calc. BC, AP Physics C, IB Higher Lvl Math II, AP Chemistry, AP English 12, AP Gov, and SPARKS. I'm planning on doing whatever it takes to get A's in all of these classes and I will spend how ever long I have to perfecting my application. VT is my dream school, so I'm going to apply Early Decision. Is there any way with my GPA (Which may improve over next year) that I can get into VT's engineering department? I also plan on taking the SAT II in Math I, Math II, and Physics.</p>

<p>Getting into the Engineering program would be difficult with that GPA. I suggest studying extra hard and retaking the SATs a few times to try and get your score above the 1300~ average. You seem like you’re on the right track, though. Try and take on a few leadership positions if possible. </p>

<p>You can get into Universal Studies if anything, and then try and transfer to Engineering. I heard it’s not all that bad if you’re motivated.</p>

<p>Good luck! :)</p>

<p>Thanks, I’m gonna retake the SAT, and also try the ACT to see if I do better on that. As far as the Universal Studies program, do I need to indicate anything on my application? For instance if I apply to the College of Engineering do I need to seperately apply for Universal Studies?</p>

<p>No. If you don’t get into engineering they’ll automatically put you in Universal Studies.</p>

<p>If your from nova you’ll definitely need need higher grades, I got rejected with a 3.5 uw and a 1460. If your not from nova somewhere around a 3.6-3.7 should be a guarantee from what I have heard so far.</p>

<p>Guillaume, I may be wrong, but I don’t think it always works that way. I know a few people who had acceptable GPAs (for US) who applied to the engineering program but were not even accepted into US and instead outright denied. </p>

<p>Because your GPA is so low, it seems that the safest bet is to apply to universal studies and then try to transfer into engineering. This is just my personal suggestion though. :slight_smile: Try talking with your HS counselor! We have a college and career center at my school, and the teacher knows everything about everything.</p>

<p>interesting. Thanks purple.</p>