Do I HAVE to self-report my AP test scores on my UC (University of California) application?

I am applying to the UC’s right now (Fall 2019 admission) and I took two AP tests last Spring and did very poorly, with a 3 in English, but a 1 in Chemistry. While reading the UC common application, while on the AP exam part of the app, when I click the “questions” box on the right, they say, “Are AP exams required? No, but if you have taken or plan to take any AP exams, report them here. This provides us with additional information about your academic history.” I’m a little confused by whether this is REQUIRED or they simply suggesting that you report the scores to help provide them with more data. If you go to the UC Admission web page, they say, “Although College Board reports all AP test results to us, students should be aware AP test scores lower than 3 will not adversely affect their chances for admission.” So, ideally I’d like to just not report ANY scores, since I’m either not going to get or don’t want the college credit. I don’t want this to affect my chances to get in, since I am a little bit on the bubble, but I also DON’T want to omit something that they REQUIRE and then have this information sent later and have any potential admission revoked. I want to follow the rules, but they just are not clear to me. Of course, if you call the UC’s and get an administrator, they’re just going to parrot what is on the web page and tell you to submit the scores. What I need to know, is whether I can safely NOT submit the scores. I think I’m well qualified otherwise to get into the UC’s I’m interested in, UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz (and possibly UCSB and UCSD). I just don’t want to screw up my chances since I’m a little bit on the bubble, and of course I REALLY don’t want to break the rules and have an admission revoked. It seems to me that if the test is optional, and I am not requesting any college credit, then I shouldn’t have to report it. Can someone please help!!!???

You don’t have to report.

Don’t conflate reporting scores (or not) on the app for admissions consideration with sending scores (or not) to the registrar for credit; they are 2 separate processes.

You could possibly report the English one since you would technically get the credit for your English Lang (UCs give credit for most APs for 3+) but it would probably be a void credit since most likely you would need to take an English class(es) over again, thus voiding the credit that you got.

Thanks, guys. The bottom line is that I dread that I might omit these scores and have misunderstood that they were required, and then have an admission revoked. So, ignoring the issue of credit, I am very interested to hear from people regarding the University of California application, and my ability to NOT report the AP scores without getting into trouble! In fact, I would choose to NOT report the 3 on English because it worries me that they would send in ALL the scores and the 1 in chemistry would come to light. I really appreciate Skieurope’s input above and would love more information on this issue. Thoughts? Thanks!

We attended UCSD’s Fall Showcase last Saturday and someone asked this exact question during the admission session. The admission officer replied that self reported AP scores ONLY ADD to your HS record, they never SUBTRACT from it, even if they are a 1 or 2. That said, she also confirmed that you do not need to report your AP scores. It is truly optional.

You do not need to send any AP scores until you enroll in a college. You would then send all AP scores and the school will decide which AP scores will give you credit based on their policies. UC’s give credit for AP scores of 3 or higher. They will not care about the Chemistry score since it will not qualify for credit.

To reinforce:

You will not get rescinded for not reporting AP scores. You will not get rescinded for reporting a 1.

When you send the score report for credit purposes, you can withhold a score (for a fee, because the CB charges for everything), but that’s really a waste of money to pay to withhold. The clerical processing your report (A) does not care that you got a 1 or a 3, and (B) will not know you if s/he tripped over you on the street.

This is just not something you need to spend time worrying about.

Thanks so much, to you and to the others who have answered. This information is much appreciated and you have saved me a tremendous amount of unnecessary fretting. Best regards!