Do I have to take physics?

Did you take AP Chem? I didn’t see it on your list.

Yes I am well aware. Applicants are only expected to challenge themselves within the context of what is offered at their HS.
I was just providing the information for context that if OP is similar to a Precal level, AP stats won’t be too hard. It is extremely rare in 9th in ours; taking it concurrently or after Precal was my point.

2 Likes

I’ve learned so much from College Confidential since my daughter introduced me to it last year, but I’ve never posted. This question made me want post.
I only have a sample size of one child so far in college, but she did not take physics. Or chemistry. And she got into most schools she applied to. From a young age she really knew her passions and they are not math and science. To get four years of science credit, she took Bio, AP Bio, APES, and then senior year a human evolution class at the local community college. She did not take calc either - she took geometry, algebra II, pre-Calc, and then Stats senior year at the same community college. I think if you have other things you are really passionate about and can show how you spent your time pursuing those passions, that comes through in your application. Again, only a sample size of one, but it can be done! She is very happy now in college studying history and journalism and getting great grades her freshman year.

3 Likes

The OP wanted to be pre-vet which basically takes the same
classes as pre-med students: general chem, ochem, physics,
biology, etc. The core pre-med classes are grind and weed out courses against the curve. So, if she is not comfortable with
math and hard sciences in high school, then will it be better in college against 1000 1st year kids (who most likely took chem, bio, physics, calc in hs) taking 1st quarter general chem at a huge flagship state school?

4 Likes

Unfortunately for a student like that, a medical field is less likely - at least as a practitioner.

OP- the good news about HS physics- especially if you take “regular” physics-- is that it will move at a pace which works for most of the class. The teacher will go back a week and review if he/she is seeing glazed eyeballs in the classroom and realize a topic needs more time and explanation.

Less likely in college. Professors move at the pace they’ve determined to be appropriate, and you’re either on board or not. Falling behind is easy; one sore throat or one morning of sleeping through the alarm can put you behind the 8 ball pretty quickly.

If you can fit in “regular” physics with your schedule- take it. It will make the faster-paced and more demanding physics you’ll need as a pre-vet student a little less daunting and a little less of a grind.

You might love it- which would be a fantastic outcome. Or you might just slog through it, which is also fine. But since you’ll need to take it in college, take the intro HS version now- when you’re in HS.

3 Likes