Do I Need to Add More Safeties?

I am currently ready and planning to apply to 11 schools for different Musical Theater programs. I am however, a little bit concerned as to not having enough safety schools. Currently my list is as follows:
Berklee - Boston Conservatory
Baldwin Wallace
California State University - Fullerton
Florida State University
Oklahoma City University
Pace University
Point Park University
University of Cincinnati - CCM
University of Michigan
Webster University
I would say right now my safeties are CSU Fullerton and Webster, however I’m questioning whether that is enough…
Also two of the schools I’m applying to have Ballet dance options on their pre-screens (Point Park and Florida State) and I am a bit concerned this could be an issue for me as I have good dance experience, but little to no ballet experience. Should I find another safety school, and will my ballet inability really affect my admission to schools even if my other dance styles are decent, and decent singing and acting?

1 Like

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a “safety school” for BFA Musical Theater programs requiring an audition. Your audition will be compared to the rest of the audition candidates at each college…and the strength of their auditions can’t be predicted from year to year.

Are you applying to any programs that don’t require an audition?

7 Likes

What are you academic stats?

1 Like

For an auditioned BFA program, this will matter more if you also need to have an acceptance to the college. But for auditioned programs, typically the audition is the key element.

2 Likes

@DylanD24 I echo @thumper1 and add that no school that requires an audition can be considered a “safety” school. While many/most undergraduate Musical Theatre programs are BFA there are also auditioned programs that offer other Bachelor’s degrees (BA, BM, etc…), so when building a list I offer that you will want to find one or two non-auditioned programs regardless of degree offered that are academic safeties that you can afford to attend.

You have a lot of highly selective programs on your current list. Most admit 5-10% of applicants, with a few maybe admitting 10-20% of applicants.

It can be easy to assume that because one auditioned program accepts a higher percentage of applicants than another it means that it is more of a guaranteed admit for an individual applicant. However, because it is a subjective process, not all schools are looking for the same things in prospective students, and the applicant pool is not the same across all schools, there is no guarantee that a school that admits a higher percentage of applicants will be an easier admit for any individual applicant.

If you look through past decision threads you will see how varied the acceptances are come April, with students being accepted to schools considered more selective, denied to programs considered less selective, and some students being shut out of any program due to having only auditioned programs on their list. Some students decide that they only will apply to certain auditioned programs and if not admitted will take a gap year and reapply the following year. So, how varied your list is in terms of program selectivity and inclusion of non-auditioned programs also depends on whether or not you might prefer to take a gap year if not admitted to one of your top schools.

You mention CSU-Fullerton as one of your “safety” schools. The BFA Musical Theatre program aims for a class of approximately 12 students (10% of those who apply) – Introduction to the Musical Theatre Program - Department of Theatre and Dance (Theatre) | CSUF

As far as I can see Webster does not have the acceptance specifics on their website, but as an auditioned conservatory program that auditions on campus, in Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles it is likely they are admitting their class cohort from a large number of auditionees, and unlikely to be a “safety” school.

If you would like suggestions of non-auditioned programs or other programs that require an audition that you might want to explore, there are many posters here who I am sure would be happy to offer suggestions and answer questions.

The Musical Theatre audition process adds a layer to the college admissions process, and you are doing a great job asking questions and reaching out for help as you prepare your list and auditions!

5 Likes

This post may be helpful if you’re looking for some MT safeties:

5 Likes

My daughter has a friend at SUNY Purchase (not Pace, edited to correct) for theater and he is enjoying it. I don’t think it was his first choice, but he’s really liking it now. I think he auditioned if I remember correctly but I have the impression that it was on his safety list.

If you want another safety consider the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. It’s a little undersung but grads from there have gone on to star in Hamilton on Broadway and in Hollywood.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure UNC Greensboro also looks for a class of 10-12. My daughter applied there and I remember really liking the program but it’s another tiny program. As someone else said, I’m not sure there are really any “safeties”.

The other thing to consider is whether or not you would be willing to do a BFA acting program or if you are only considering musical theatre. Applying to both (or being willing to accept a divert to the acting program) certainly opens up opportunities. I know of several students, for instance, who initially were hoping for Pace or Emerson’s MT program but decided to accept an offer at their acting program instead.

2 Likes

They have a new musical theatre degree but have a lot of degree offerings in their Visual and Performing Arts school. They have a really strong music program too. The actor I was thinking of who is on Broadway in Hamilton is De’Onte Goodman and he graduated from UNCG in 2016 with a music degree but did a lot of musical theatre at school. I feel like a student could make something work there as a safety.

2 Likes

I don’t really see a safety on your list. Webster attracts kids from a Chicago performing arts high school in acting and musical theater. Think of it as a high school conservatory and they all learn to dance with one of the best instructors out there. All the schools will be competitive.

1 Like

@DylanD24

We know absolutely nothing about your talents and experience in the musical theater field. So…it’s hard to say anything really firm about your chances anywhere.

For example, if you have a very strong resume of past roles, and experiences…that’s different than if your experience is limited.

You say you have some dance experience…what about voice and acting.

Most of these programs have very elite talent auditioning for them. I knew people at most of these programs and they were the cream of the crop. But, nothing in life is easy and sometimes your just got to go for it.

1 Like

And perhaps this student is the cream of the crop…we don’t know.

2 Likes

Mostly As my entire high school career with the exception of a few Bs. All Honors and AP classes as well as some college classes through my local community college. Weighted Cumulative GPA 4.2. Testing is not my greatest suit though, but I still got an 1180 on the SAT.

I have a strong theatrical resume with many roles since I was about age 12. I have been taking private vocal lessons for a year, and have 5 years of school choir experience where I’ve made specialty groups where 5-10 people participate which helps with individual instruction. Vocal type wise I’d consider myself like a lyric bari-tenor with a comfortable range from about G2- A4 with strong falsetto extension to a G5. I also got really good one on one acting teaching in 2021 for about 6 months and that has really stuck with me to shows I’ve been in following that. Not really relevant to MT, but I can also play piano very well, and have solid foundations in percussion and bass guitar. I also have arranged music for my schools marching band which I also participate in, as well as being the assistant drum major this year. I feel some of these music things aren’t MT relevant at all, but can they help me?

I just want to reiterate what several others have already told you. NO audition-based BFA in MT program can be considered a “safety” school. I say this to anyone, not just you. Most BFA in MT programs have acceptance rates in the single digits and so very challenging odds. You ought to add two non-audition BA programs, that are also academic likely schools for you (sure bets for admissions). I’d consider every BFA in MT program on your list as “reach” odds. As well, many are some of the most challenging ones to get into, though all are chancy odds.

Btw, the fact that you play piano is a great plus in the field of MT for your future!

You mention Point Park and Florida State with regard to dance and it is true that both these programs tend to emphasize dance and if that is your area of least training, think through if these are the best fit options. Be aware that Baldwin-Wallace and Oklahoma City are BM in MT programs and so are heavily focused on voice.

I would add a couple more BFA in MT programs (and not some of the most well known ones…for example U of Utah, Viterbo, University of the Arts, U of Alabama, Wright State, U of Tampa), These are NOT safeties but also not perhaps as competitive as many on your list. Then, ALSO add two non-audition BA schools that are academically likely bets (examples: Muhlenberg, Rollins). Consider applying test optional, by the way, particularly at U of Michigan.

1 Like

In response to your FSU question, our audition process is holistic in that we thoroughly evaluate all three areas. Our incoming students all have their strengths and weaknesses with plenty of room to grow. Some will be trained dancers with strong technique, some not. The audition is designed to show us how the FSU MT program can serve you as a prospective student.

Michele
mdiamonti@fsu.edu

2 Likes

All of these are reaches (sub 25% acceptance rates for MT. WELL under 25%.)
So, you need to find colleges where your odds are much higher than that.
You should add colleges where you can continue your MT&music/acting/dancing practice even if you’re not in an auditioned MT major program. I would recommend applying (EA and with Arts-music supplement) to a handful from Muhlenberg, St Olaf, Goucher, Connecticut College, Bard, Skidmore, Davidson, Denison, Rollins.

You say mostly A’s in Honors&AP+DE classes. Have you taken bio/chem/physics? 4 years of English and History including perhaps AP lang, APUSH, AP World? 3 or 4 years in a foreign language? Math through Precalculus?
What’s your class rank, roughly (ie., top10%, top30%, top 2%, sth else…?)
Wondering if your combined academics&talent could make Northwestern or USC possible. What about Chapman?

That being said apply test-optional because a 1180SAT isn’t competitive at the colleges listed^.

What’s your CSU GPA?
What other CSUs have you considered?
Cal Poly Pomona has MT I think.

1 Like

I am married to a Davidson alum and know many others and know a kid at Davidson now and live in NC and have never heard of Davidson having a particularly robust MT or just theatre program. In NC I would say the schools most known for theater are UNC School of the Arts for sure (difficult audition), UNC-G (easy admit to the school overall, may be difficult audition directly into MT), Elon (worth checking out, makes several best MT and drama lists), UNC- Chapel Hill (difficult admit in general).

Also, SUNY Purchase. I think that’s where my daughter’s friend is, not Pace. I know he applied to both and is in NY but the Ps threw me off. I’ll edit my other post.