Do I need to change my second major???

I applied to COE ME for my first major and Aerospace Engineering for my second major.

But because I fear that I may get rejected by those highly competitive engineering programs, I want to change my second major to, say, econ, math, or physics, so that if I don’t get into my first choice, I would have at least a backup plan to study other major for my first year before I switch back to COE (I know it’s not easy, but I heard it’s not impossible to switch a major into engineering after first year)

But I heard that I really don’t need to think of my backup plan, because if I don’t get accepted into an engineering major, the school will still give me an opportunity to choose a major later for admission purpose.

Is this right? So should I just go with ME and Aerospace engineering for my first and second choice majors?

My understanding from reading posts last year is that you are admitted to the university and if your chosen major is no longer open, you may choose from any open major. It is also my understanding that all engineering majors are general engineering freshman year.

gettingschooled, so outright rejection by Texas A&M is pretty unlikely, right?

If by chance engineering major is almost full, you have to compete for the last slots. To be eligible, you HAVE to have BOTH majors as engineering. IF you don’t, they do NOT consider you in the pool for the competition for the last few slots - you are automatically eliminated. IF you gain admission to the university and the last of the engineering slots are full, you will then pick among open majors.

I tried looking for your stats and don’t see them anywhere. Are you in state or out of state?

My stats are 3.7 unweighted. CR 580, Math 750, Writing 670.

I am an in-state international student, because I will have attended a Texas HS for more than 3 years.

Unfortunately, my school doesnt rank, so I am not sure whether I fall in the top 10% or even 25% category.

A&M assigns you a rank. In AIS look to the right of the words class rank (or left of the check mark) and it should say " top quarter" or something to that effect.

Take a look at Blinn team and the Blinn Engineering academies. You may be offered one of those especially if your rank is not top quarter.