do i need to transfer out during my 2nd yr of college?

Hi, im planning to study pharmacy in college. I’m most likely going to attend SUNY Albany or SUNY Buffalo.
do i need to transfer out during my 2nd yr of college if i want to study pharmacy?
i didn’t want to apply to the 6yr program because i want experience 4 yrs of college, not 2yr.
Thank you!

U Buffalo has a high GPA requirement for their pharmacy program I believe, ask them how many of their own pre-pharmacy majors make it into their PharmD program.

They also charge undergraduate tuition only for the first two years, then graduate tuition for their last four.

SUNY Buffalo has a pharmacy school, but if you are not accepted there you would have to do your PharmD elsewhere.

SUNY Albany doesn’t have a pharmacy school, so you would transfer after 2-3 years.

There are pharmacy schools like Ohio Northern, Duquesne, Wilkes University where you can do all 6 years there.

Pitt and Toledo are other 2+4 programs, where you do 2 years of pre-pharmacy and then 4 yrs of PharmD. If your high school stats are high, you might qualify for their early assurance type program.

thank u so much for detailed info. what i want to know is, do i MUST transfer in order to study pharmacy?
i really want to go thru that 4 yr undergrad at either SUNY schools. once. again thank u!

Well that depends on the school. If you go to a school that also has a pharmacy school, and you are eligible to move on in that program, then you don’t have to transfer out.

You don’t need a bachelor’s degree for most PharmD programs, only 2-3 years to finish the prerequisites, which vary by school.

But you certainly can get a bachelor’s degree first if you want, and then attend pharmacy school.

You would want to try to keep a high GPA, and you might have to take the PCAT before your senior year in college.

Some schools do require a bachelor’s degree to be accepted to pharmacy school. One example is Ohio State.

The issue with doing a bachelor’s degree first is the cost of an extra 1-2 years of tuition and housing costs, and also that it would take 8 years to get your PharmD, and not 6 or 7.

1 Like

thank you so much.