Do I rush at Bama?

Hey guys! I’m a female from Massachusetts who was recently accepted to University of Alabama! My sister is attending UGA and she is in a sorority- something that I’d really love to be a part of in college! Can anyone let me know how rushing is at Bama? I’m a little worried it will be far more competitive than what my sister went through, and that being out of state will hurt me as I won’t know anyone. Is rushing really that different in Bama, and how so? Thanks!

Welcome, and Roll Tide! Rushing can be competitive, but there is a place for just about everybody. Chapters are BIG - think around 350 to 400 in each group. That said, everyone can find their own closer group of buddies within a chapter. Being OOS is NOT a problem when 60%+ of campus is OOS. You will need to find recommendations for each sorority, which can be a bit of a challenge in New England. Some sororities will accept recommendations from current members, but some will not, so if you possibly can, try to find them from sorority alumnae who know you and/or your family. Some sororities will accept recommendations from current members who are at schools other than Alabama. There’s no way of knowing which will accept what, so just do the best you can - fill in with current member recs that your sister may be able to help you with.
You can start NOW by asking around to find out who is a sorority alumna. Keep a list of name, address and sorority. In a few months, you can give each of them a packet of your resume, transcript, and a photo or two to use for their recommendation. The U of Alabama Panhellenic website has a list of where to send them. LOTS of info on that site, so go there and read, read, read! uapanhellenic.com Good luck!!

@Southlander Thank you so much for all this info! I have a few family members who are alumnae from sororities at schools like William and Mary, and I definitely have a ton of friends of my sister who are currently in sororities! My only problem is going to be finding current Alabama sorority members to contact, but I have one friend who is currently enrolled there and another mutual friend who could help, so hopefully I will be all set! I’m definitely going to be checking out the recommendation requirements soon! Thanks again.

That’s great! You’re well on your way. I mention collecting names now since with holiday gatherings you may be seeing a number of people whom you normally don’t see. You can get on any lists the sororities have by just emailing them your name and contact info. They do expect it - just say you’re hoping to go through next year and would love to get more info on their sorority.
From what’s being mentioned on the moms’ Facebook page, there will be no spring parties this year. If I hear differently, I’ll post it here.

@Southlander Thanks for the help!!