Do I still need to take TOEFL for CMU?

My first language isn’t English but I’m a US citizen and I’ve been living in the US for 7 years. I know that most colleges waive English proficiency requirements for students who attended high school in English speaking countries so I never took TOEFL. However, it seems like CMU requires TOEFL for everyone whose native English is not English, regardless of their citizenship status or where they went to high school. Do I still have to take TOEFL for CMU? I got a 780 in the SAT English section and got straight A’s in all AP English classes. I speak English better than my native language.

You should write to their admissions office asap to get clarification, but I’d be surprised if they required you to take TOEFL based on what you’ve stated.

2 Likes

I agree with @DadOfJerseyGirl that you need to speak with admissions. There is no way you will be asked to take TOEFL with SAT 780 in English and a US HS diploma.

1 Like

They say this:

If English is not a first language for you, you must submit official results from the TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge English Assessment or Duolingo English Test exams.

For grad school, they say ‘no exceptions’ which they leave off in the undergrad FAQ.

They’d really have no way to know which is a primary language. One can be overseas and still have English as the primary language.

But yes, you need to ask.

On Common App, you have to select your first language, so they’ll eventually know that my first language is not English… I’ll definitely call them to ask.

1 Like

I have the same problem…
Did they tell you if you can waive the language test? Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.