Do Interships and Academic Awards offset extra curriculr/leadership?

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I am currently a Junior in high school and need help in admissions in college.</p>

<p>Currently my only "extra curriculars" are: VASTS Program (Virginia Aerospace and Technology Scholar), A award for 3rd place in Science Fair (Districts), a summer internship at NASA Langley and mostly a internship for engineering at a local college for the summer. In addition, I have the typical academic awards (AP Scholar w/ Honors, NHS, honor role, and other small school academic awards) and I also have the usual volunteering at local hospital (100+ hours so far).</p>

<p>Other than those mentioned above I don't have the "blow you away extra curricular"...so I was wondering if those activities mentioned above with a 4.1 weighted GPA (3.4-3.5 unweighted), and a 6 AP and all honors course load up till now, and a SAT score of 2000+ or a ACT score of 31+ will put me in good shape next year for admissions at VT?</p>

<p>plus: forgot to add, I am from Virginia, to be specific NOVA (FairFax County)..</p>

<p>Not to worry. Numbers are more important for VT than anything else. And your numbers look good. Your ECs are great too.</p>

<p>Thanks…that eases my brain a little…
Do u think i should apply to VT as a ED? I want to also apply to UVA but i feel i have no shot there…plus i heard it was easier to get in VTs ED than RD…is this true?</p>

<p>Eagles,
I agree with chuy that you look like a great candidate- best wishes for you. Early decision applicants need to absolutely know they want to go to VT. It is a binding commitment unlike some Early Action schools where you have other options. Some people at Tech feel that it is actually more competitive to go ED than RD, but I think it depends on the major you intend to cite, too. </p>

<p>I also think your numbers are fine for UVA, so why not apply to both and see what happens? Visit both schools (if you haven’t already) to see which you prefer the feel of though. It could save you a bit of $ on an application if you don’t like the vibe for one or the other. Good luck!</p>

<p>I am planning to major in either Aerospace or Physics
would this play a major part in my app?</p>

<p>Not a major part I don’t believe…what I was getting at is that in going for certain majors, the competition for admittance is very hard. For ED, admissions is likely to take only very qualified students, so as to keep enough space for more great students who apply RD. I don’t know about physics, but the school of engineering-including aerospace-and the college of architecture and urban studies are two that are highly competitive to get into.<br>
I think you look like a very qualified candidate for Tech, ED or RD and with either major. </p>

<p>PS—and guillame I apologize- I agree with you, not chuy, although I agree with him a lot, too! :)</p>

<p>Lol! ten char</p>

<p>Haha K&K, I got a little confused reading that. Thought another one of my posts got deleted or something.</p>

<p>I think you’re very likely to get in to either Aerospace or Physics. You ECs look great and to the extent that VT actually cares about them over numbers (not much) they’ll do nothing but help you, but you will have to decide which one you want to do before you apply. Getting into the College of Engineering is harder than getting into VT as a whole, and coming in undecided (or in physics) and switching to Engineering will put you at least a year behind. Do a lot of thinking about which you would like, then if you’re still really 50/50 when it comes time to mail in the application do engineering. You can transfer out of engineering into physics without nearly as much hassle as the other way around, and a lot of your freshman, and possibly even sophomore, classes will be about the same. Only apply ED if you’re absolutely sure you want to go to VT, because you’re probably going to get in and it is binding. If you do decide you really love physics, though, I’ll warn you that our physics department isn’t exactly undergraduate friendly. Most of the professors, especially the lower level ones, are absolutely horrible at teaching. Most of the engineering professors I’ve had are great and I’d recommend our college of engineering program to anyone that loves engineering, but I can’t honestly recommend the physics department to anybody.</p>

<p>thank you chuy for your honest answer</p>

<p>I was talking to my friend the other day and he was saying the same thing. I have a really dumb question…is there a major at VT (or anywhere for that matter) that is a combination of biology, engineering, and technology?? i figure it would like biotechnology but im not sure if VT offers it…any thoughts on that?</p>

<p>plus in my post when i meant “4.1 up till now…” i meant it that at the end of junior year my weighted GPA would be 4.1</p>

<p>does that change the scenario drastically?</p>

<p>Not really, that’s how I read your GPA in the first place.</p>

<p>You can do materials science engineering with a specialization in biological materials. That’s the best mix of those things that I know of, and I really like the MSE department here.</p>

<p>chuy, when you say they are not “undergraduate friendly”, what excatly do you mean?</p>

<p>From my experience with lower level physics classes and from what I’ve heard from physics majors that I know, the professors in physics care much more about their research than teaching classes. Many of them are extremely difficult to understand and I’ve heard that they don’t really like it when students come by for their office hours for help on homework or stuff like that. Also, the best/only good guy that teaches lower level physics is Chang, and he’s an engineering professor, which should tell you something.</p>

<p>edit: They have cleaned up their act a little bit though. They almost lost accreditation several years ago and it’s improved since then, but it is still in my opinion the worst department to be a student in at VT.</p>

<p>Chuy and KandKsmom have nailed it.</p>