Do UCs really ignore freshman and senior year grades?

I hope that the UCs look at 9th through 12th grades because I didnt do too well junior year. The UC website says that the gpa will consist of grades from the start of 10th to the end of the 11th grade. Also, I took a gap year. Therefore, should I include my senior year grades in the gpa.?

The UC GPA calculation is based on your a-g course grades from 10-11th since most applicants will not have their Senior grades. Freshman grades are used to confirm you have passed your a-g courses with a C or better. Senior grades are used to maintain your provisional admission once accepted: All UC’s require a 3.0 weighted GPA for Senior year. Exceptions are UCB/UCLA which want a 3.0 unweighted GPA senior year.

Yes you should include your Senior grades on your application. Since you took a Gap year, they will expect to see grades for senior classes to make sure you have fulfilled the a-g course requirements and you did not fall pray to the dreaded “senioritis” and they should be included in your UC GPA. All schools will recalculate anyways.

@Gumbymom thanks