Do WashU or Vanderbilt med schools give preference to their own undergraduates?

Does WashU or Vanderbilt med schools give preference to their own undergraduates?

Just wondering and I couldn’t find any information on this anywhere else.

WashU SOM reported they matriculated 4 students from each of the following schools last cycle: Harvard, Cornell, Notre Dame, Duke, JHU, Vanderbilt and WashU. (Class size =122)

Vanderbilt only reports that it matriculated students from 55 different undergrads. ( MD Class size =77, plus 15 MSTP, 3 MD/PhD and 1 OMFS)

So I wouldn’t say WashU favors it’s own undergrad so much as it favors highly competitive students from highly competitive undergrads.

The median stats for matrilcants at both school are GPA>=3.88 and MCAT score =520+ (A 520 MCAT is above the 97th percentile nationally)

BTW, the COA at WashU SOM is over $90K/year. At Vandy it’s over $101K/year

Here is Vanderbilt’s 2019 annual report, you can get numbers on Vanderbilt premed to Vanderbilt medical school matriculation from here. Seems on an average between 2017-2019, about 25 accepted off 165 Vanderbilt premed grads applied each year. Vanderbilt MD school acceptance rate is <2%, instate acceptance rate is about 4+%, OOS is at <2%. You can use these numbers to compare against Vanderbilt premed to Vanderbilt medical school matriculation rate.

Here’s VU report for 2020:

Like most universities with a medical school, a lot of UG pre-meds apply to the med school.

And I’ll admit a strong skepticism-perhaps unwarranted-about any and all lists about medical school applicants/acceptances, at least until there is agreement about who qualifies as a “pre-med” for application purposes. For example, on the chart above, 220 VU students were first time applicants. How many started freshman year as pre-meds…or how many went all the way through junior year as pre-meds and didn’t apply.

2 Likes