Do you have to major in nursing to become a nurse?

<p>SO I'm an undergrad at Penn State majoring in biology and geobiology. I really want to do something in medicine but I'm not sure what exactly. I was thinking nursing but I don't know how the program works. Like are there master programs where I could get a M.S in nursing and later become a nurse. If I do become a nurse I would like to be a nurse pract. How does that work?</p>

<p>There are a large number of public and private colleges that offer a BSN for students who have a different Bachelors degree. It is common for people to study nursing as a second career. The more required classes you complete now, the fewer you will need to take for a BSN. Many of these programs are accelerated, meaning that you can complete them quickly if you attend school year-round.</p>

<p>Check out the pre-requisites and curriculum of a few colleges where you might want to attend and talk to an admissions rep for their programs. </p>

<p>A masters is nursing is really limited to people who are already a nurse and have a BSN.</p>

<p>There are a large number of other health care fields that may be worth a look. Some may allow you to jump right to a masters if you have a science background. Many other health care fields offer better hours than nursing - they mainly work a day shift.</p>

<p>You don’t have to receive a BSN in order to study nursing on the masters level. Many schools have a 3 year MSN program for those who have their undergrad degree in lets say history,biology or poli sci. For those who have a BSN, they would only spend 2 years on their masters degree. Yale U school of nursing has such a program. Visit their website and see what the requirements are.</p>

<p>[Admissions</a> | Yale School of Nursing](<a href=“http://nursing.yale.edu/admissions]Admissions”>Admissions & Aid)</p>

<p>You should also consider the Physician’s Assistant program! Yale offers that as well. As does many other ivy league schools. I think it would be the same amount of time, with greater pay. I am sure the tuitions are probably about the same as well.</p>

<p>[Home</a> > Physician Associate Program | Medical Education | Yale University](<a href=“http://medicine.yale.edu/pa/index.aspx]Home”>Yale Physician Associate Program < Physician Associate Program)</p>

<p>Im actually interested in the PA program but since I’m a double major im afraid I wont get the pre recs in on time. i.e anatomy, physiology and microbio. And isn’t Yale hard to get into? I don’t think I’m Ivy material. Any other health professions I could look into?</p>