Do you senior grades count for UC?! Getting mixed answers on this!

<p>Okay I know this question has been asked numerous times, but I’m confused as to whether Senior grades count towards admissions. Some people say that first semester grades count and some say they don’t.</p>

<p>This is one of the theories I heard. </p>

<p>They will see the list of classes that you are taking first semester senior year, but you will not submit transcripts that include your senior year grades until after you have been admitted. As long as you don’t get below a C in anything, you will be fine.</p>

<p>Is that true or not? Senioritis is starting to kick in for me. :slight_smile:
By the way, I plan to apply to </p>

<p>UC Irvine, UC Davis, UC San Diego… and other UC’s</p>

<p>Senior grades will NOT count for admissions…</p>

<p>…however it will count for admissions if you get really crappy grades during that time; they have the right to deny (rescind) the admissions offer they send you. That’s basically throwing away everything you worked for. And IMO, that’s just purely stupid.</p>

<p>Now hustle up and kick that senioritis to the curb. :)</p>

<p>so is getting like straight B’s alrite or no for first semester?</p>

<p>and how about second semester?</p>

<p>Both semesters count. Don’t slack off in either of those grading terms. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories regarding senioritis kicking in and rescinded admissions…and lets just say its not fun.</p>

<p>hmm but i thought UC Colleges only see the courses you are taking in first semester, but not your actual grades? since you are pretty much accepted into their college.</p>

<p>and i mean second semester, your pretty much done. i hear the rescind is actually a very small percentage of people.?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>NOT 100% correct. UC has a process called Augmented Review, in which they ask for senior grades, recs and transcripts. It’s essentially for apps on the bubble, and in occurs in a small %.</p>

<p>Don’t assume the rescind is for a “small percentage of people”. Anyone who got accepted into a UC, but got bad grades during their senior year are subjected to be rescinded. UCs only looks at your senior grades and determine whether you can still be admitted to their school (if you received an acceptance letter). Its clearly outlined in the acceptance letter that you must maintain your grades to keep the admissions offer.</p>

<p>@bluebayou: What I meant when it “doesn’t count” is during the application process (the main gist of it). And UCs do not want to deal with letters of rec (unless its for the appeal proccess), and they established that a long time ago.</p>

<p>so pretty much senior grades only count as a way to see if you are still eligible for UC even though you have been accepted</p>

<p>so keeping a 3.0 GPA is alright for the two semesters of Senior Year?</p>

<p>My GPA from 10-11 is 3.6 (Unweighted)</p>

<p>I think you should still try to maintain your grade as high as possible in first semester because they might ask to see it. Second semester, they don’t really care as long as you maintain 2.5 GPA or higher (not sure about this). And no, rescinding doesn’t happen to a “small amount of people”. I had a friend who was almost rescinded from UC Davis because he got a D in government. Play it safe.</p>

<p>You must maintain above a 3.0 both semesters, C- and above. Failure to do so gives them a reason to boot you. And yes, the UC’s <em>may</em> request your first semester grades and it can factor into your admissions. (though I think it only happens for border-line people.)</p>

<p>Keep up the good grades. Good grades as a senior will help if you need to appeal an unfavorable admission decision.</p>

<p>My son and many of his friends applied last year and here is what I know watching them going through the whole process.</p>

<ul>
<li><p>When you are accepted, you get a list of acceptance conditions and they clearly state the gpa you need to maintain. UCs have different senior gpa requirements. You can check with each UC you are interested in. I seem to remember that UC Berkeley and UCLA require 3.0 unweighted gpa, UCSB requires 3.0 weighted gpa and can’t remember UCSD.</p></li>
<li><p>UCs may request first semester senior grades. Although not too common but it does happen.</p></li>
<li><p>If you want to appeal, having good senior grades would help.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Just get the goddamn A!</p>

<hr>

<p>Students should make sure you meet ALL acceptance conditions, including all deadlines. Some of the campuses got higher than expected yields this year, and word going around is that some admissions offices are being VERY strict about conditions. Also, in the past students who did not meet certain requirements have lost admission – e.g. did not take the two required SAT II tests.</p>