Do you think my app is competitve for VT?

<p>I am rising senior from Virginia (NOVA):</p>

<p>projected UW: 3.57
projected W: 4.0-4.1
* note about GPA: my grades have had a significant upward trend: W GPA's- 9th: 3.8 10th: 4.2 (w/ 2 ap's) 11th: 4.47 (with 4 ap's)</p>

<h1>of Ap's: 6 (signed up for 5 more senior year), this is one of the more challenging courses</h1>

<p>Grades is APs: AP World-A, AP Comp Sci- B+, AP US-A, AP Lang-A, AP Chem-B, Stat-A
SAT: 2020 super scored (670 CR, 720 M)
SAT US History: 780
SAT Math Level 2: 770
SAT Biology: 780
Significant EC's + Awards:
Founder and President of the History Honor Society
Member of NHS, Math Honor Society, and Science Honor Society
3rd Place Regional Science Fair
Internship with NASA (VASTS program)
2 month research in India in biotechnology (i will conduct my studies this summer and will apply for siemens)
Lots of hours community service at hospital</p>

<p>guys sooo do you think I would be competitive for VT?</p>

<p>if you weren’t from NOVA you’d be an easy in, but given that there’s a slight chance for otherwise but it’s still very unlikely</p>

<p>I think you’re competitive, especially if you’re not applying for CAUS or Engineering. Even if you are I think you’ve got a shot.</p>

<p>im applying to the school of science and i want to major in biological sciences. do you think that would have any impact on my app??</p>

<p>It’ll help, relative to engineering or CAUS anyway. It’s not that the school of science is easy to get in to, just a little less competitive than a couple of the other colleges in the University.</p>

<p>^chuy,
What about this profile would need to change for engineering?</p>

<p>I think you have a strong chance. HOWEVER, NOVA is very competitive. I don’t know if you are doing ED, but if you get the decision of we will wait until RD don’t flip.</p>

<p>In our area of NOVA (PW) one school had almost every student get in, while ours had only 1 for ED. Kids were flipping out because those students had lower stats and the school ranked lower within the county (our school is only 1 of 2 in the county that has ICSE, AICE, AP and IB). To this day nobody can give a reason why, the only guesstimate is that the students from that school were minorities. </p>

<p>AT our school I would say 50% got VT. Their major really played into the decision.</p>

<p>You’re definitely in, and you should apply early if it’s your first choice. The people who need to worry about being from NOVA are the ones with a solid 3.7, a few APs and a 1200 SAT: toeing the line and nothing too unique.</p>

<p>^ Agreed. I don’t think it’s even a question of whether or not you will get in. Even for engineering, I would put my money on you getting into the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Location. </p>

<p>edit: Really I think they’d probable get into engineering too, I’m just less confident about guessing for that one since it seems more unpredictable than most other majors.</p>

<p>Chuy- fair enough. I was simply curious. My son will be applying in a few months and by all stats on the common data set he is just fine. VT has been very fluky the last few years though. We see some students turned away and scratch heads thinking ‘What the…?’. It’s never a safety school…not anymore. I asked because it takes a bit for the published data to catch up with what people are actually seeing at the school.
Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Good luck Eagles!</p>

<p>guys thanx for the replies. hopefully i can get into tech biological sciences program.</p>

<p>btw i had another question: are there any opportunities for pre-med students to get hands on exposure and research opportunities? I am set that I want to go to either VT or Pitt, and so far Pitt looks like it is far better for pre-med students because of its location and i also heard that they offer great opportunities for students. anyone care to comment about this?</p>

<p>Are there any? There are too many. Do realize that VT is largely a comprehensive research university.</p>

<p>update: I just got a mail of my schedule and have an option of changing it by the end of the week.</p>

<p>This is what I have signed up to take:
AP Lit
AP Comparative
AP Bio
AP Physics
Human Anatomy and Physiology
AP Calc AB
Engineering Physics 2</p>

<p>This is what I want to do now:
AP Lit
AP Compartive
AP Bio
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Exploring Health Sciences
Exploring Language of Medicine
AP Calc AB</p>

<p>the first is much more rigorous, but the second one is the one i am more interested in? i only chose the 1st list cause my parents forced me</p>

<p>Efl, I can’t speak to pre-med, however I strongly urge you to look into the research opportunities. This was something that was really important to my son. At the engineering open house on an information forum regarding research I asked specifically about hands on research opportunities for undergrads, even freshman. I was told ‘If student comes to me and says they are interested in what I am working on and would like to help, I would not turn them away.’ The conversation went further, but I was satisfied that excellent hands on opportunities are widely available for those that seek them out.</p>

<p>@blueiguana, you were speaking of common data…where exactly do I find this?</p>

<p>wait i found it. but something astounds me. I am looking at this website [Institutional</a> Research - 2009 Common Data Set](<a href=“http://www.ir.vt.edu/common_ds_2009.html]Institutional”>http://www.ir.vt.edu/common_ds_2009.html), and clicked on First-Time, First-Year (Freshman) Admission and noticed that the application essay was not considered!! does this make sense or am I reading it wrong???</p>

<p>edit: also they don’t consider class rank??? what is this, I am soooo lost.</p>

<p>btw sorry for asking sooo many things but I had 2 questions. 1) Can I apply to more than one school (i.e.: College of Science and Engineering), and if I can, is there a possibility that I can get into one and not the other? 2) Say I apply directly to College and Science and don’t get in, can I still get into Tech or is it once rejected its over? thnx a lot guys!</p>

<p>There’s no required essay. There are a couple smaller ones that I guess can kind of help, but if you’re safely in they are unneccesary and if you’re not close to getting in they won’t help you all that much. If you’re borderline I suppose they’re kind of important.</p>

<p>Class rank is a useless statistic. School difficulty is considered though, especially for in-state students.</p>

<p>I don’t think you can apply to more than one school, but I do know that some people are accepted into the university but not the college they applied to. They’ll get put in University Studies and can try to transfer into another college after a semester or year.</p>

<p>Eagles,
No, you are reading it correctly. The Common Data Set is something that I believe all colleges are required to offer in the same format. It is so you can look easily ‘apples to apples’ at what each school considers in an applicant in order of importance. As you can see it also gives you more detailed information on applications received vs. offers made vs. student who accepted their offers. The information on SAT, ACT, and GPA is also more comprehensive.</p>

<p>Often on a schools website this information is given in different forms, and it is hard to determine what each school is looking at. This gives you a clearer picture. Look at the Common Data Set for another school you may be considering (google) and you may find they consider class rank and essays in the top two tiers, legacy in the highest tier, SAT/ACT scores in the second tier, etc. It helps you determine where you stand as a viable candidate at each school.</p>

<p>Keep in mind the date on the data. VTs is from 2009. Another school may have their most recent data available from 2008 and the trends of SAT/ACT, GPA, etc, may have inched up. What they are considering most important in applications will most likely have stayed the same.</p>

<p>I hope this helps.</p>