Does anyone else regret doing IB rather than AP?

<p>Some of the reasons might include IB being seen equally to AP at good colleges, AP curriculum overlapping much more with College Board SAT Subject tests requiring IB students to often do more extensive self-study, forces you to be well-rounded (while ostensibly a benefit, I know this really acts as a detriment to those who are more lopsided), AP students getting tons more credit when they go to college whereas IB students tend to only get credit for high scores in HL subjects, etc. </p>

<p>Just wondering..</p>

<p>Oh yeah, no question about it. I hate IB. It’s my biggest regret of high school, and I wish I could go back to my 10th grade self and keep out of it.</p>

<p>I regret it so much. I couldn’t handle the workload and it brought my gpa down horribly, but I had no choice in whether I did it, my parents forced me into it.</p>

<p>Oh no this scares me.</p>

<p>I regret doing Pre-IB in 10th grade. 9th grade was a breeze but then I came to 10th grade and got D’s and F’s throughout the year in Chemistry, English, Algebra 2, and AP Euro. Before then I never had a D or F. My school did offer “grade recovery” after each quarter and I managed to bring the F’s in Algebra to C’s 3 quarters. Chemistry grade recovery was insane - it required doing ALL of the chapter review questions and section review questions for the chapters studied throughout the quarter with 100% accuracy (no exceptions!) and then taking a test that determined whether or not your grade was improved. The work didn’t count towards the grade, it was just a tool to weed out most people that wanted to do grade recovery for that class. I guess I should have studied more :confused: . It doesn’t help that the teacher was very discouraging. I still remember the night before the work was due when I realized I was supposed to do all of the questions, not only the odd numbered ones, and I was up until 2 in the morning bawling my eyes out only to give up when I realized I realistically couldn’t finish the work.</p>

<p>I was so much happier junior year (allegedly the toughest year) when I was getting A’s and B’s throughout the year and taking 4 APs that might do more good than if I would have stayed in IB. My school is one of the best in the state and for some reason they push students to do IB because it is apparently the best program in the world. They absolutely love their IB students, who have a much greater course load, but what good is it if there are a fair amount of colleges that don’t recognize IB, or it doesn’t give any more of an edge than AP classes? Most of the Ivy league/ Military academy acceptances in my school are from students in the schools AP/Honors program. One IBer got into Harvard.
Pre-IB made me miserable, and my friends who stayed in IB junior year were even more miserable. Some just switched out of IB in the middle of their senior year!</p>

<p>Sorry for my word wall! :P</p>

<p>I do, because I took pre-IB sciences instead of the AP level like I could have, I lost the chance to exempt when I went to a stem magnet high school for 11th and 12th</p>

<p>I’m happy with IB. Sure, there’s a lot of stuff, but the number one thing I love about it is that I learned how I learn and need to study. IB is very individualized, and the classes are small. A lot of my teachers genuinely care for their students. I really love that IB forces you to be well-rounded, because I think that’s a really important factor. </p>

<p>MATH SL YOU TOOK AWAY ALL MY ACCEPTANCES</p>

<p>I won’t be in high school fer like 2 more years but I know that in the end IB’s better. There’s nothing wrong with AP but the kids who are actually ready for the increaingly globalized world and who aren’t still living in their high school days at the age of 22, are better off. Like I Said before, absouloutly nothing wrong with AP.Both programs are SUPER Hard and anyone who takes even one AP/IB Cousre should give emselves a pat on da back :)>- </p>

<p>Based on my acceptances this year (which has totaled all of one acceptance, and three wait list positions), IB is still a huge regret for me. I feel like I’ve worked my butt off to do well this year and last year, and now I’m a senior looking at technical school because I can’t afford my one acceptance, and my wait lists won’t let me know anything until after the May 1st deadline. The way IB was sold to me and my classmates, it would be like some magical passcode that would let you waltz into any university with a full ride, and I’m not only disappointed, I’m dang pissed.</p>

<p>Even though I’m still in my first (Junior) year of IB at my school, I do not regret choosing IB. Yes, it is a lot of work and yes, it may not be recognized as much as AP is, but that’s just because the American education system is behind the rest of the world. My grades this year are the best of my high school career, my teachers are very understanding with assignments and deadlines, and I feel confident about my ability to finish strong. Anyone who tells you that IB is going to get you a full ride is talking out of their butt. By the time you’ve taken your final exams, you’re already accepted into colleges and have made your decision. Yes, only high HL exam scores count for college credit, but if someone does IB just for the college credit, they shouldn’t take the program. IB prepares you for the workload of college courses and that’s what makes it valuable.</p>

<p>@hakata you really can’t blame IB for making you getting D and F on AP euro and Alg 2. Those classes are real breeze especially Alg 2 where any high school kids have to take it.</p>

<p>You guys make me so glad that I chose AP over IB…</p>

<p>yes, because you can get more college credit with AP- and you want college credit, trust me.</p>

<p>Wow, I see a lot of IB hate, understandable… But at the same time, you choose it - ok, maybe your parents “forced” it, but they just wanted the best for you. People need to realistically consider their abilities and work ethic before complaining about the IB program. If you know you can’t handle it, you should let your parents know seriously instead of complaining. It definitely is a huge workload, but it’s rewarding. </p>

<p>As a graduating senior from the IB Diploma program, I can tell you that I’m glad I chose IB over AP (I’ve taken AP classes too). At times it’s been a real struggle, where I’ve had to pull consecutive all-nighters and became frustrated and stressed. On the same token, it’s changed me, personally. I’ve become more motivated, more determined, my work ethic has increased, I’ve become well-rounded (going from hardly any ECs to joining a bunch and finding my passion) and I’ve been in good company. That’s one of the best parts of IB, you’re around a great bunch of people, who are different from the rest.</p>

<p>So at the end of the day, the choice is yours. You should want to challenge yourself because it’ll help in so many ways, including preparing yourself for college. And as Robert Frost said, </p>

<p>“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”</p>

<p>It truly has for me too. :)</p>

<p>No, I don’t regret it. It’s not for everybody, but it’s kind of rewarding. I’m still not done with the first year, but so far it was not too bad. I’m set to finish my CAS hours this year, have an informal predicted grade of about 37-39, alright progress on my EE, and teachers are trying to do the IAs now so they don’t pile in 12th grade on top of supplementary college essays. </p>

<p>It’s less rote and more thinking/understanding concepts than AP. You’re gonna have to think and be able to solve problems by applying concepts. It’s a bit tricky, and adjusting from rote memorization to this is not going to be that pleasant, but if you can get the hang of it, it’s great. It (arguably) better prepares you for real life, and depending on the person, it can turn out to be easier, or at least a bit less work. I take:
English A: Literature SL
French Ab Initio SL
Economics HL
Chemistry HL
Math HL
Physics HL
and I’m in good shape. Tell me a bit about yourself and I can help out, but don’t just go with what I say. Ask others, read about IB, etc. </p>

<p>I got out of pre-IB after my frosh year because of several things, grades (3.0 GPA), bullying, distance, etc., and went to a magnet school nearer to us with an AP focus (top 30 school in the nation, btw. Might be a mitigating factor). In terms of general knowledge, I’m happy I left: my friends from there can’t spell “henceforth” and don’t know what “Satire” is. From a workload point of view, I think AP has been a lot more difficult, if only because of our school’s special curriculum. For example, we’re currently writing an essay comparable to EE length, except it’s on the comparison of two books. We’ve had 3 essays like this already the past two years and other 3 freshman year.</p>

<p>To provide an equal and opposite reaction to elitepwnage’s comments, I’ve also been in the company of wonderful people at my AP school. I won’t go into the deets, but everyone there is like family. The IB school, OTOH, was hell. So yes, you can find great people in both places (AP guys are mainly more into clubs, etc. than off school EC’s).</p>

<p>Personally, I’m happy I dodged the CAS and bullying, two of my main dings against my school. AP has been great for me.</p>

<p>PS: Yes, I got decent (680-790) scores on 4 SATII’s without study, and a 36 with little prep on the ACT.</p>

<p>EDIT: I got the same sell as SusieAnne. Complete BS.</p>

<p>I’m definitely glad I did IB. No one sold it to us as a “golden ticket” to universities and scholarships. We knew it was going to be brutal. And it was. But I’m still really glad I did it.</p>

<p>My GPA did survive, so that probably helps my perception of it in retrospect (only diploma candidate to keep a 4.0). But the real benefit became clear when I got to college: it was easy! I overstudied for my first exams and aced them. I took an upper level honors English requirement my freshman year and got better grades with less effort than IB English. It was a relief as my classmates were sometimes struggling. IB prepared me really well for college, and I still make use of skills and knowledge from my IB classes four years later. IB provides a much more cohesive and challenging program than AP, and is much better at developing writing skills, among other things. If I were doing it over, I would still do IB.</p>

<p>Even though a lot of colleges value AP and IB equally, I think IB develops your critical thinking abilities much better. AP exams are largely multiple choice and formulaic essays. IBs simulate the kind of open-ended problem solving and analysis you have to do in the real world.</p>

<p>My daughter took full IB. She worked her tail off but she learned how to think analyze and write. She did get into her first choice school but I think the most important thing she got out of IB was a group of friends who were all different yet became a family. She was really well prepared for college and still has her IB friends. It is not for everyone, but it i great for someone should is looking for something more interesting, intellectual.</p>