Does anyone know how the UC waitlist process works for freshmen applicants?

So I got waitlisted but I’m not sure what to think of it. Does everyone that got rejected get offered to be placed in the waitlist? If so I don’t think I’m going to bother, but if it’s selective I should give it a shot? (does anybody know how many of those offered a waitlist spot actually get in?) Any other advice would be great too, I’m having a rough time right now

@folder6459‌

Which UC campus(es) are you referring to? If any case, most of the campuses will have a waitlist which is different from the students that they reject. The status of being waitlisted implies that you are a qualified candidate, one that would do well at their university, but one that they cannot offer admission to just yet. It is a selective process, you can feel good about that.

Schools will accept many more students than they know will eventually enroll. As the national day of intent, May 1, comes, the schools will look to see what their yield is, that is the number/percentage of students accepted their offer of admission. If that number is less than what their expected yield was, they’ll start offering admission to those students that are on their waitlist.

In any case, if you accept a position on a school’s waitlist, you should still accept an offer from another university in the meantime, just to ensure that you will be in college in the fall. If the UC that you are waiting for starts accepting kids off their waitlist and they contact you, you’ll just have to pull back the SIR from the other college, and likely lose your deposit.

Good luck with your college choice! Remember, it’s not the end of the world to be waitlisted.