Does Choice of Major Affect Admission?

<p>I am wondering if all UC’S are like SD. Where they have a cutoff and if you don’t get into your first major, they give you a second major, and if you don’t get into that they give you admission as Undeclared. Also, I know there are impacted and not impacted majors, its all really confusing though. Can someone explain what all of that means? Basically, will I get rejected to the College just because I picked a competitive major. </p>

<p>Please help me with this question(s)!</p>

<p>for Letters & Sciences, major is not a factor in admissions. For Engineering it can be. For example, if you apply to Cal Engineering, but they don’t have space, you will be rejected; Letters & Sciences will not review an engineering rejectee</p>

<p>For UCSD, anything related to bio is HEAVILY impacted</p>

<p>Is Engineering impacted at every UC? </p>

<p>In the end I am going into Engineering, unless I change my mind later on.</p>

<p>I basically know I have little to no chance at Berkeley Engineering, so I will be applying Undecided there. Not sure about UCLA. SD has a cutoff and they still give you admission as undecided if you don’t get into your majors. </p>

<p>But, what about Davis, Irvine, and SB? I guess Santa Cruz as well.</p>

<p>I am looking at Electrical, Bio and Chemical, Electrical being my highest preference, but wouldn’t mind doing the other two.</p>

<p>I will do my research, but can some people clear things up or help me out? </p>

<p>For SD…</p>

<p>Only Engineering Majors impacted there are Bio and Aerospace.</p>

<p>[UCSD</a> Jacobs School of Engineering](<a href=“http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/undergrad/undergrad_academic/academic_majors/impacted.shtml]UCSD”>http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/undergrad/undergrad_academic/academic_majors/impacted.shtml)</p>

<p>Freshmen
Admitted freshmen that have applied to an oversubscribed major will be further evaluated by the Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools for admission to the major. Acceptance will be granted to the maximum number of students in each of these impacted major programs. Students who are not admitted to the oversubscribed major are placed into the alternate major they selected on the UC Undergraduate Application, provided the alternate is not oversubscribed.</p>

<p>We highly recommend that freshman applicants list a non-oversubscribed open major as their alternate choice on the UC Undergraduate Application. If a student lists an oversubscribed major as both the first and alternate choices on the UC application, and is not admitted to the first choice major, the Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools will place the student in the Undeclared major. The Undeclared major is not affiliated with the Jacobs School. However, students admitted as undeclared may later seek admission to an open engineering major.</p>

<p>The Legend - While SD will roll over an admission to a second choice, that is not done at Cal. If you do apply undecided (i.e. nonengineering) at Berkeley, understand that transfers from L&S to Engineering are very difficult to achieve. You would need to work out the needed classes as if you were an engineering major, get very high grades and then apply. If you apply undecided at Cal, have a backup major that you can live with.</p>

<p>^Im preety certain I wouldn’t get in to Engineering, anyway with my grades I believe it would be a huge accomplishment to just get in undecided . I will be applying Engineering to lots of other colleges, so when the time I comes I will make my choice.</p>

<p>bump. </p>

<p>I have found out it doesn’t effect the admission at SB, SD and Irvine. What about Davis and LA?</p>