Does community college courses count towards your UC GPA?

<p>I am a junior in high school, and my UC GPA is kinda low (3.5), and I would like to improve it. This summer I am taking Marine Biology (D course- Laboratory Science), Elementary Persian I (E course- Language other than English), and Journalism: Gender and Race (G course, elective) at Santa Monica College. </p>

<p>Will the courses I take at SMC count towards my GPA/UC GPA in high school?</p>

<p>Or will it only count as college credit?</p>

<p>It would count towards your community college UC GPA if you were to ever transfer from CC->UC. I’m pretty sure it would have no affect on your high school UC GPA.</p>

<p>On the [University</a> of California - Admissions](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/]University”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/) website I saw the Q&A section:</p>

<p>If a high school student takes a UC-transferable course at a community college and lists it on her UC application, will her grade in the course be included in her GPA, even if it is not listed on her high school transcript?</p>

<p>Students must report all academic coursework. If the course the student took is in an “a-g” subject area, the grade will be calculated in the GPA, and if the course is transferable, it will earn an extra grade point and college credit. Upon admission to UC, the student will be required to submit an official transcript from the community college in addition to her high school transcript.</p>

<p>So does that mean the classes I’m taking at SMC does count towards my high school GPA??</p>

<p>No, I think that’s what it means by ‘extra grade point’. As in you will have a second GPA. It wouldn’t make sense, to me at least, to include them together.</p>

<p>IFF the course is transferable, (IGETC is for sure), then yes, it counts for a bonus point in UC gpa for the purposes of admissions. If the course is not transferable, then it only counts as a a-g course – part of the UC GPA calc, but no bonus point.</p>

<p>For example, a juco Art History course that is IGETC fulfills the VAPA requirement and gives you a bonus point (similar to AP Art HIstory). OTOH, taking Alg II at a juco will not earn a bonus point.</p>

<p>If it is an A-G course, it counts toward the weighted UC GPA used for admissions purposes. I’ve asked an admissions counselor at UCSD.</p>

<p>yea it does count for your UC GPA. that’s why most high schools go to De Anza (our local CC) in order to pile up on extra weight for their UC GPA.</p>

<p>Wow I didn’t even know that…I should’ve taken CC courses in H.S.</p>

<p>good info thanks</p>