Does Filipino count as Hispanic?

<p>I'm half Filipino and have Spanish ancestry on that side. I never actually thought it counted, but my counselor said "Spain" counts as Hispanic. I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, and I don't want to put it on my college app if it's not, because I feel like it might give me an unfair advantage that I wouldn't deserve. Any advice?</p>

<p>In the context of the National Hispanic Recognition Program, the rules are below. It appears you need to have (at a minimum) a grandparent born in one of the countries listed below. </p>

<p><a href=“For Students: National Recognition Programs - BigFuture”>College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools;

<p>What is the NHRP’s definition of Hispanic/Latino?</p>

<p>To qualify for this program, you must be at least one-quarter Hispanic/Latino. Hispanic/Latino is an ethnic category, not a racial category; you may be of any race. For purposes of the NHRP, you must be from a family whose ancestors came from at least one of these countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay or Venezuela.</p>

<p>If your ancestor came frim spain, you’re hispanic</p>

<p>It’s definitely not my grandparents. Probably my great-grandparents, then. So I guess I won’t consider myself Hispanic?</p>

<p>nope</p>

<p>Your counselor is gaming the system. At one point, the Phillipines were invaded by Spain in the mid 1500s. This does not mean everyone automatically transformed from Filipino to Hispanic. Since Hispanic is typically 1/4 blood, with one grandparent, you would not be considered 1/4 hispanic. </p>

Technically, Brazilians are Luso-Americans, not Spanish or Hispanic.

Spain was the original invader, and because they left us Spanish language and some cultural leftovers, we are called Hispanic. So according to the official categorization, you must be a least one fourth Spanish or Latin American.

1/4 blood of WHAT??? There are Latin Americans of 100% German, Italian, or Japanese decent that are “hispanic”.

@GMTplus7, only because you remarked on the illegible Pell Grant, I know you have a sense of humor :slight_smile:

So, I ask, what about those latin americans who are 100% INdecent? Are they not hispanic? Is there a decency code? :wink:

Filipinos are Asian.

Filipinos are Asians duh

Flippin

If you’re family descends from Peninsulares or Insulares, and/or still speaks Spanish at home, you are Hispanic.