Does getting into UCLA CS hurt my chances for Berkeley EECS?

UC Berkeley EECS is the program I want to go to with all my heart. When I got into UCLA for CS I was initially happy, but I hear about how getting into UCLA hurts your chances for Berkeley. I’m stressing out right now, and many people state that there is virtually no one they know who has gotten into both. Is there any truth to this? If I knew being accepted to UCLA cs would hurt my chances at Berkeley EECS, I really regret applying.

Getting accepted into one school does not directly affect your admissions chances to another. Just because people say that there is “virtually no one they know who has gotten into both” doesn’t mean that statement is true. It is simply an issue of merit when it comes to acceptances; UCLA does not call up Berkeley after they admit someone and say, “Don’t admit this guy to EECS, because we already have him for CS.”

Berkeley EECS is one of the school’s most competitive programs, so naturally it’s difficult for anyone to get accepted, let alone both UCLA CS and EECS. Do not be alarmed, and just wish for the best.

Uh, that makes no sense.

No, getting in to UCLA for CS would not hurt your Cal EECS admissions chances.