Does GWU offer merit scholarship in ED1 or ED2?

DS is applying to GWU for political science and international affairs. He has a weighted GPA of 4.3, 1500 SAT, 7 APs (including senior year), and a few ECs. He is leaning towards GWU for ED1 or ED2. Does GWU offer merit scholarships in ED1 or 2?

Why ED ? Demonstrate interest and it’s not needed with those stats.

They’ll tell you yes and perhaps some have - but if you were a college, would you use mich if your marketing budget to secure students who are already willing to pay in full ?

No one provides stats but I would be beyond shocked and amazed if ED was awarded at the same rate as RD. Some say they get some and perhaps it’s fir appearances fir this exact question.

But merit is marketing money. Money to entice students.

If you need it demand merit, apply RD. Your odds of getting in will be strong on your own merits. You don’t get a do over if you get accepted just because they didn’t give you merit.

1 Like

Good point, Tsbna44. It looks ED has a higher acceptance rate (around 70%) than RD (50%). The other advantage is knowing the results early. However, I totally get your point about why would the school give a merit scholarship if they know the student is going the ED route and is guaranteed to accept whatever is offered.
He is also considering EA at Georgetown, which has a lower acceptance rate (12%). Having said that, he does prefer the urban environment of GWU.

Two years ago per CDs gw had a 49.7_% total acceptance rate.

I can’t see the current but would think lower.

I don’t see where they published. Where did you get those #s?

1 Like

I don’t know what CDs is. I got the 50% acceptance rate from College Scorecard

CDS. Common Data Set - the school itself.

It was in 2021/22 but yiu saud 70% ED and 50% RD which would be higher. I don’t see a 2023 CDS so the school hasn’t done one.

You should ask the school and not use 3rd party. The CDS is the school.

My guess is the rate is lower today but if demonstrating interest, I think your student gets in even not ED.

If the student prefers gw over Gtown - there is no issue with ED. But you can’t compare offers if ED’ing.

1 Like

Thank you. Do we ask the Admissions Office for the CDS?

Understand, though, that acceptance rates in ED and RD aren’t an “apples to apples” comparison, because the ED cycle includes a lot of “hooked” applicants, particularly recruited athletes who are expected to apply ED in order to secure their spot. If a given school were exactly as selective, for unhooked applicants, in both cycles, you would still see a higher ED acceptance rate. So the difference rarely translates to as big an advantage as it appears.

No. Just for the latest (current year) admissions data. It must be somewhere but I can’t find it.

They’ll likely show it in an info session - if you do one on line.