does legacy really help?

<p>I see it on their website, but does anyone know an actual case where it helped you even if a smidge? My son wants to apply in another year as a 3rd generation Hokie. His GPA is a bit low (3.5 weighted) so wondered if 3rd generation might help at all.</p>

<p>Well somebody on another thread said that their son was waitlisted even though his brother is a hokie. If it's like at UVA, it helps if your son is out of state, but not if he is in state, because there are so many Vtech alumni in Va. Not sure if they use the same policu though.</p>

<p>That would be me, hoping to have had both kids at VT. Apparently legacy is not a major factor, so don't count on it.</p>

<p>I know next to nothing about VTech, but I do know that at W&M, the only thing that counts as a legacy is if your mom or dad went there- a sibling wouldn't make you a legacy. And I was told when I took my nephew on the UVA tour that they no longer count legacy as a factor.</p>

<p>In an overview session by admissions staff, it was indicated that legacy was used only when other things were equal since the legacy student is statistically more likely to attend. This helps VT estimate their yield rate (% of admitted students that actually enroll) and admit the right number to fill the class and not overfill it.</p>