Does MSU have many students from the Northeastern US?

My daughter was just accepted from NJ, but I haven’t heard of many students from our town going there. MSU checks a lot of boxes for her, so she is strongly considering it. I wonder if maybe there’s a place to see geographic demographics.

Which MSU are you referring to?

If you mean Michigan State, I am a huge fan. It is my hometown. I went to university and grad school elsewhere but I came home in the summers and took organic chemistry and physics toward my undergrad degree.

I am happy to give you more insight into Michigan State if that is the MSU you are asking about.

I’d like to hear more about Michigan State too. We never hear anything about this school in CA. I’ve only read about it here on CC.

MSU has students from everywhere! My daughter is a sophomore there. I think there are many Michigan students, but it is truly an international university. You can do a deep Google dive into the 2021 fall enrollment report (tried to link it here but popped up as a PDF). It is about an hour away from the Detroit airport, and the Michigan Flyer bus is a cheap way to get there.

You can ask me questions as well!

Sorry, I thought I posted this in the Michigan State forum?

1 Like

Thanks, I did look at the deeper demographic report, but that included general information, i.e. percentage in-state, and percentage OOS. I know there are lots of students from other areas in the midwest, but I’m wondering if there are a lot of student from the northeast. I know UM has lots of students from NY and NJ, I’m just not sure about MSU.

I think MSU is 80% in state and the rest out/international. Son just graduate from MSU it was a great experience for him. Michiganflyer does help out for Detroit flights… hoping my youngest goes there in a few years. FYI: We are international

What major are you guys looking at?

There are not very many students from the northeast at Michigan State. You are definitely correct about U of M … there are a ton of northeasterners at U of M, but that anomaly does not extend beyond Ann Arbor anywhere else in Michigan.

@NJmom3G

I guess my question is…why is it important that there are “many students” from the northeast at MIchigan State?

If your student loves the school, that’s what matters.

As a land grant university, the vast majority of students are from MI, but the school is so large that you can still find students from all over the US (though skewed toward the Midwest). My wife was accepted by both MSU and UofM for undergrad, and she chose MSU. She loved it there and did well getting her first job as a MSU alum. If your daughter likes tailgating, MSU is nirvana.

I’ll channel my wife and say that when considering schools, students should consider what industries, organizations/businesses and regions the school feeds. MSU sends a large number of engineering and business grads to the auto industry in MI and the Midwest.

On a different note, if your daughter is applying for a science major, she should look into the Lyman Briggs College at MSU.

Hi,
My son was accepted to Michigan State and is considering it as well. We live on Long Island. I grew up in Michigan but my husband grew up in NY, so that’s where we landed after having met at U of M. I have been wondering the same thing. My son can make friends anywhere with anyone, but I don’t want him to feel like an outsider. Best wishes to your daughter and her decision making. Let me know if you learn anything new!