Does retaking a failed course over the summer look worse?

I have heard so many mixed answers. Got a C semester one and a D in semester 2 for Chemistry. (it was my only regular class, the rest were advanced and i am disappointed i did so awfully) I am going into my senior year. I have the option to retake it over the summer online, does this actually look much worse on my applications? It should help my gpa too right? i am so nervous.

what is your school’s policy on this.

My school does not allow online courses that are not approved in advance and are not overseen by a teacher licensed in the subject area,

1 Like

my school does, just need my dean to approve.

You would be retaking semester 2?

Are you retaking the full year of chem? Does your school replace the grades? Put the new grades on your transcript?

I do think remediating a D makes sense in many cases.

2 Likes

Yes S2, but I was thinking more, and should I actually take AP Bio instead over the summer instead of retaking reg chem online? Same process for taking AP Bio over the summer, just thinking it might be good for gpa purposes…

Based on the below, that seems a bad strategy. You really need a strong performance in prerequisites to succeed in a mire advanced course. Wishing things to improve will not make it so.

1 Like

Ok right i see. So that was 9th grade, but in 10th grade I took Biology Honors and got an A the whole year. The reason I’d failed the pre-ap bio course in freshman year was due to online school and lack of my attention. Then chem came and I did not great… (science is not strong for me, everything else is)

Retaking a course over the summer to improve your grade can be beneficial for your college applications. It demonstrates your commitment to academic improvement and determination. While some colleges may prefer consistent grades, improving your grade can have a positive impact and boost your GPA. Check with the colleges you’re interested in to understand their policies on retaken courses. Focus on showcasing your growth and achievements throughout your senior year to strengthen your application.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.