Does the fact that no one from my HS got into Emory impact my chances?

No one from my high school has ever attended Emory University. I was wondering if this would make Emory look at my application differently, if at all, and how?

Not necessarily

None of us works for Emory admissions but I would move forward assuming your application wil be reviewed on its own merits.

2 Likes

If other students have applied, do you have a scattergram about their GPA/SAT like in Naviance? It would be helpful to know where you stand relative to the other applicants from your school.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have that information, the only things I know is the avg sat, gpa and what colleges people from my hs went to.

Define “ever”?
Truly “ever” - or just in the last couple of years that you are aware of?

Also - there a several thousands of colleges - it’s to be expected that not all of them would have formers students from your high school.

Finally - the fact that no one attended, doesn’t mean that no one had received acceptance offers. With people applying to large number of colleges, there may have been acceptances, but people finally attended elsewhere.

Maybe have a meeting with your guidance counselor. They will have a sense of how applications at Emory have gone in the past - and where your own stats fall.

There are several top colleges that had not accepted anyone from my child’s HS in the prior 4 years (that’s as far back as Naviance goes)but then suddenly they accepted multiple students from the class of 2023. Good luck to you.

1 Like

Do you know has anyone applied to Emory?

We were fortunate - we didn’t have Naviance or Scior or anything else I’ve read about on here.

We nailed the decisions on my kids admission except for one I thought would be a reject that was an acceptance.

It’s not that hard.

You shouldn’t need 3rd party high school data to figure out possibilities for your student.

You should be able to build a sense on the totality of their portfolio.

To me, using these third parties to alter decisions short changes your student, especially if they decide to remove a school that you might otherwise think - there’s a chance.

1 Like

Remember that there is “applied”, “accepted”, and “attended”. There were plenty of colleges that nobody at my kid’s high school attended within the period covered by Naviance, however, most were because very few applied, and these colleges were less attractive to the applicants who were accepted.

It is most likely that few or no students from your high school have attended Emory because few applied, and those who were accepted did not choose to attend.

So it’s unlikely that the admission rates or college choice of previous students at your high school will have an effect on your personal admission chances.

Good luck!

1 Like