Does the U of Oregon of much aid to OOS students?

I applied to UO and I was wondering if they give need based aid to out of state students? I’ve heard from others that they don’t really give much aid at all especially to OOS students. Is is that most people pay the sticker price of 50k?

No, they don’t. They’re a public university so they provide (some) need based aid to their residents. They do offer merit aid to OOS applicants.

They offer modest merit aid. My son received an award of $4K/year which would cover travel costs. By comparison Delaware awarded him $12K.

then how do they so many OOS students? Do most of them just pay the sticker price of 50k?

I don’t think they have so many OOS students - 37% is their current official percentage. Some may get into the Honors College and/or NMF so they get scholarships, but other than that, there are lots of rich kids in California who couldn’t get into UC’s, in WA state who couldn’t get into UWash Seattle, in Texas who couldn’t get into UT, in Florida who couldn’t get into UF, and generally in Arizona (and, I guess, want to see what rain is like, :D, because it’s easier to get into UA or ASU than into UO).

Where else have you applied?
Do you live in a WUE state and if so did you apply to the WUE colleges in Oregon? (Like Oregon Tech, SOU…)

You’ve asked similar questions in other threads. As a CA resident, you’re OOS for this college. Why would they give lots of aid to low income OOS residents? Is CA generous with merit aid for OOS students?

Your family has an EFC of $60. How much can your parents pay out-of-pocket without taking out loans?

@austinmshauri Without loans, probably around 20k a yr

That’s good. It’s going to be tough to get an estimate using Net Price Calculators because your parents own a business. You might try reading the financial aid pages of these colleges. Do they offer guaranteed merit for a 1260 SAT? If not, do they promise to meet need? If they don’t, I wouldn’t count on getting enough aid to attend. Some schools may not consider your parents’ $90k/year net income, but others probably will.

@austinmshauri The thing is that I have the SAT score for most of the schools I got into, but I don’t have the GPA. The only big merit scholarship I got was from Nebraska-Lincoln because they only use test scores not GPA.

I think a lot of colleges use a combination of test scores + GPA for merit. Schools that require both won’t give you merit if you meet only one of the requirements. Since finances matter, you have to focus on schools that are within your parents’ budget. Have you been accepted to a financial safety?

@lehigh2022 My son had a 1460 SAT and only received $4K. His GPA was a 3.6 W (although possibly weighted lower by Oregon since every school uses a different formula). It seems unlikely you would receive more.

DS received $9K a year, UWGPA 3.2 and SAT 1530. We are OOS.

OOS (Massachusetts) GPA of 3.71 and SAT of 1330, I only received the federal Pell grant (around 3470) a year. I also got work study but everything else is loans. I’m so disappointed because as much as I want to attend it would essentially be 48,000 a year for me to go.

Someone told me that Washington applicants aren’t considered OOS because of some program or agreement that Washington schools have with Oregon schools. Is this true?

@abbeyabbey0117 ; it means you can’t go since you can only borrow 5.5K. Where else did you get in and what’s the net cost at each school?
To know your net cost at each, do (tuition, fees, room, board) -(grants, scholarships) =
Do not deduct any loan or work study.

This is kind of what I expected, which is a shame since DS is applying for Fall 2019 and will likely not have much, if any, need-based aid available to him.

They don’t even give good aid to in state students lol

My daughter earned a merit based Summit Scholarship for $10K per year, but even with that the total cost for us was just north of $40k per year - closer to $42-$44 based on her housing choice (she wanted international scholars dorm), so we had the big talk about debt and value because UO was her first choice and she really saw herself as a Duck. Thankfully, she based her decision on her head, not her heart (there were tears though, and a few days of quiet brooding as she processed it) and selected another school. We told her to save her (our) money for graduate school. Personally, I just couldn’t see paying over $160k for the UO - especially after she was accepted at UCD and UCSC - even though those PAC-12 football games would have been sweet to attend.

She decided on the value option; Boise State at around $28k per year, honors college, new dorm, priority registration, and way more sunshine…but colder. The Mountain West Conference will have to do.

1 Like

It’s become ridiculous for OOS. I found this on their website - https://ir.uoregon.edu/tuition - the total COA has gone up $20k in 10 years for OOS ($14k adjusted for inflation). That’s insane, especially with the lack of aid they offer. But they are getting people to pay it. This chart shows how much their OOS enrollment has increased - https://registrar.uoregon.edu/statistics/enrollment-reports?report=Enrollment+by+Residency

We’re in Colorado and it’s the same here. If you have a 4.0 and 1500 CU and CSU will give you around $4k a year

My son (20) had OU as his first choice for years, but it has now dropped to third on his list behind Arizona and Washington State. Arizona is about the same base price as OU, but they give a ton of merit aid. With a 3.3 GPA and 1250 SAT (our guess, he hasn’t gotten his score yet), they’ll give him $14k a year.

They do offer merit based aid, if you have above a 3.6 you get $7.5k per year and if you have above a 3.8 you get $10k per year.

1 Like