Does this make sense?

<p>I thought my academic record was on par with what was expected at Vtech's engineering program.</p>

<p>I got an 800 on my math SATs
1380 total
i have a 4.0 out of our 5.0 weighted scale
i took AP calculus my JR year.. ya i got a 4 on it but if only everyone knew the family situation i had the night before..
i took a second AP class my JR year and am taking 6 my senior year.. with AP Physics and AP Chemistry being 2 of them..
i Aced Physics last year as a junior..</p>

<p>and i got wait listed?</p>

<p>Wow that sucks...seems like pretty good stats to me, but then again im not in the engineering program.</p>

<p>Maybe you should call an admissions councelor, that might help?</p>

<p>It is so difficult to comapre raw stats. </p>

<p>Good luck, hope it works out.</p>

<p>No it doesn't make sense. But what makes sense these days in college admission?</p>

<p>I'm hearing of lots of cases like this happening in many schools this year. Who knows what Admissions were looking for when they went through the thousands of apps they received this year. Most, if not all, of the state schools received record numbers of apps, and they could just pick and choose to form their "ideal" class of 2013. </p>

<p>A 4 or 5 on most APs gets you college credit at VT. I wouldn't worry about that part at all.</p>

<p>VT Does Not Make Sense This Year</p>

<p>It appears they have placed a very high emphasis on grades,</p>

<p>The thing is a 4.0 on a 5.0 scale might be a bit low. Would that be equivalent to a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale? (I'm no good at math). If yes then, it's definitely too low.</p>

<p>"Further, with over 2/3 of all students being accepted,"</p>

<p>The admit rate might be much lower this year.</p>

<p>my 4.0/5.0 converts to above a 3.5/4.0 because its mostly B+'s in all honors classes throughout highschool..
i get quite a few A's through the year, a few B's and just maybe 1 or 2 c's.. i think once i got 3 c's on one year's report card.. but its always english or social studies</p>

<p>i just do not get it :(</p>

<p>I would definitely appeal your decision</p>

<p>I was accepted yesterday into engineering and here are my stats (which are much worse than yours)</p>

<p>GPA: 3.0/4.0, 3.8/5.0
SAT: 2010 (Math-780, CR-650, W-580)
ACT: 34 (Math-35, English-35, Science-32, Reading-33)
Class Rank: 140/280 (from a top 100 high school)</p>

<p>2/3rds of all students may be admitted but that number is lower for the engineering program. The GPA probably didn't help. Are you from Northern Virginia? If you're not from NoVa then it is surprising that you didn't get in, but if you are then I'm not surprised in the slightest.</p>

<p>Having Cs on your transcript doesn't really look good. Also, not sure how your ECs might have come into play. For an engineering major, having ECs like math league, robotics, and science stuff would be more meaningful than say, cheerleading captain. You know what I mean :)</p>

<p>On the VT website, it says to not appeal unless you have new information. You can't just request a review because you think they didn't look at you well enough. So I would first call and maybe ask why you weren't accepted, if they'll even answer that at all. Then get on the waitlist and send periodic updates to add to your record - AP exam results, any new awards from school which may come out later in the spring, that sort of thing.</p>

<p>im in chesterfield..
yea i go to Cosby High School and its pretty damn competitive.. but still</p>

<p>i dont get AP results till june anyways...
and just got a photography award..</p>

<p>but what else could i do.. if i did some comm. service ( as in a fairly good amount )would that be something that they would want me to add?</p>

<p>and i didnt take the ACTs because with my 800.. i didnt think i needed to..
and im ranked 100/399.. i might have bumped to 99 or 98.. but right around there</p>

<p>If your 3rd quarter grades are better than your mid-year, send that. Send the photography award. Send the AP results if you get them before they send out waitlist results. I think I read that they don't send those out until June? I could be wrong with that exact timing. My thinking is that since everyone has to notify schools of their acceptances by May 1, allowing for slow snail mail, by mid-May they should know whether or not they have any spaces left to offer to the waitlist.</p>

<p>Rankings don't really mean much since a great many schools don't rank. GPA and SAT/ACT scores are the most important numbers.</p>

<p>Doing community service at this late date looks insincere. They are looking at academics and awards for academic efforts. Most schools give out senior awards in May. If you get any, that would be an excellent thing to send in. I did read that VT didn't take anyone off the waitlist in the past 2 years :(</p>

<p>Sorry, wistin. My son is in the same boat, but isn't getting his hopes up at all. He really was hoping to join his brother at VT though.</p>

<p>wait so what were your sons stats?
and did he apply to ED?</p>

<p>and the current trend is not taking anyone every-other year.
last year they did not take anyone off of the wait list, the year before they took like 120, none the year before that, and right above 100 the year before</p>

<p>but u cant really have a trend with that sort of thing so im not counting on that..
i'm just still very confused..</p>

<p>i'm gonna find out if i can switch to undeclared and if that would help my chances..
i just honestly thought especially with my perfect math SAT score, engineering wouldn't be too difficult for me to get into</p>

<p>every single person i know is utterly shocked :/..</p>

<p>the horrible part is my guidance counselor at my HS has, in fact, messed up another one of her student's transcript and prevented them from getting in. :( :/</p>

<p>"the horrible part is my guidance counselor at my HS has, in fact, messed up another one of her student's transcript and prevented them from getting in." </p>

<p>Do you mean that he could have messed up yours too? Then you should check into this rapidos!</p>

<p>wistin, I am sorry you didn't get an offer from Virginia Tech, but I wonder about a couple of things, some which you may not know until tomorrow/this week when you get back to school....I wonder how many kids from your school applied/ did get offered. If there were a lot, you may have been in the situation like the NOVA kids: too many applicants...</p>

<p>Two, were your C's on your semester/final grades? That is all that is seen by the adcoms at the schools. If so, that may have done it. When we were there for our s's orientation, the woman who gave the talk made a point of saying that C's on the semester/final grades were not helpful. Whether a student was taking the "most rigorous curriculum" offered was also a big factor to them she said. </p>

<p>I think the waitlist is going to be tough this year as well. Tech is a bargain and with the economy I think most are going to jump at the chance to enroll. Here is the common data sets (with waitlist numbers) for the last few years: look under first time/first year admitted students</p>

<p>Institutional</a> Research</p>

<p>It's tough right now, but all things happen for a reason.....hope you have other options that will work out for you. Good luck</p>

<p>Yeah, if you're from NoVa that GPA isn't usually going to get you into Engineering.</p>

<p>chesterfield if southside of richmond</p>

<p>I am a little surprised that they did not atleast put you into university studies if they didn't accept you for engineering. I knew people from my high school in NoVa that got into engineering with stats around yours and I knew some that got in with stats slightly lower than yours (SAT wise). If you pardon the cliche, there is always somebody left without a chair when the music stops. I wouldn't bank on the wait list, hopefully you have other schools that you will feel comfortable at, its not the end of the world.</p>