Does UC Berkeley have bias for Asian Students

<p>Guys I’m originally from the Bay Area and right now I’m loafing in the East Coast with some relatives. Recently I took a short visit back to the East Bay where, I spent a day in a sub-town of Berkeley. When i went to campus, I could have sworn, I was in some metropolitan of area of some major Asian country. From what my eyes saw is that Asians easily outnumbered White People ! (60%). I guess what’s most troubling, is that i saw little latinos and even fewer African American-- which is pretty sad, on account that UC Berkeley use to be a integral academia for the African American community in Oakland. </p>

<p>Any thoughts ?</p>

<p>there is a great number of asian students because there is no racial bias. UC Berkeley used to have a much greater african-american and latino-american population because they practiced racial affirmative action, meaning they set lower admissions standards for those races. once proposition 209 passed in california, racial affirmative action was banned and the number of af-am and lat-am students dropped dramatically, while the number of asian-american students rose. </p>

<p>there's another outdated study that showed that on average, being black was like having 200+ pts. added to your SAT score and hispanic was like 150+, while asian was -50. i don't remember the exact numbers, does anyone have them?</p>

<p>btw, i support racial affirmative action. but there is no bias.</p>

<p>i think its because many asian americans are academically high achievers. also State of California has a lot of asian population. I don't think Berkeley is biased.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/education/edlife/07asian.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/education/edlife/07asian.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>though there's no thorough analysis, i think UCB tend to accept those who are not asians, of course, if they are qualified.
btw, does anyone know among applicants to UCB, how many are asians ?</p>

<p>No racial affirmative action = a LOT of asians.</p>

<p>Also, it's CA. There's bound to a sizable amount of Asians in most parts ;)</p>

<p>The most recent Census figures report that California is 12.4% Asian.</p>

<p>well if Berkeley was biased for Asians, it would probably be like 80% Asian.</p>

<p>lol what i'm thinking is, if UCB has no partiality, it will have loads of Asians. now in CB I see UCB has like 43% of Asian</p>

<p>
[quote]
From what my eyes saw is that Asians easily outnumbered White People ! (60%). I guess what's most troubling, is that i saw little latinos and even fewer African American

[/quote]

Among the undergraduate student body at UCB, there are:
3% African-American
42% Asian-American
12% Hispanic
1% Native American
3% international</p>

<p>Proposition 209 dictates that there can be no racial bias in admission ... thus there is no bias for or against Asian-American applicants.</p>

<p>anyway, how does the admission process work ? Is the director of admission the ONLY one who decides which applicants will be admitted ?</p>

<p>People growing up in the last 30 years seem to be taught that when the ethnic representation in any organization doesn't approximate that of the general public, some evil authority must be rigging the system. As anybody who's watched a pro football or basketball game in the last few decades could tell you, some groups just seem to be better at certain things than other groups and when decisions are based on merit alone, it's quite possible for some group to be overrepresented and some to be underrepresented. And it only turns evil when somebody illogically assumes that no individuals can be exceptions to the overall trends.</p>

<p>UC Berkeley is like a Chinatown. It is true.. Just come in at 11 am on anyday to campus. Chinese people are just too smart for their own good. I think the whole UC system has high bais towards the Asian population especially for the mid-tiered UCs and up where academic prowess is highly required to succeed. Asian people simply stated are on average are smarter. The reason why is totally another discussion on what promotes their average person to hold a greater academic talent in comparison to say the average African American.</p>

<p>^I don't think asian people are on average smarter. It's just asian parents have a bigger tendency to push asians towards academic success and when I say push, I mean push. There are some crazzyyyyy ass parents out there. </p>

<p>Anyways, I'm a big fan of prop 209 and hope that affirmative action is eliminated altogether in colleges outside of the UCs. It's definitely more fair. College acceptances should go to the person who is the most qualified, not who is the most underrepresented.</p>

<p>Well, the average Asian culture promotes higher average intellect as compared to say Latinos or African Americans. That's clear I hope.</p>

<p>Based on this idea... if you want to run faster, you need to train. And Asian people have excellent academic training. </p>

<p>Although on a side note, I'm not sure why Asian people never make it to the 100 m race finals in the Olympics. Could it be genes? Or that Black parents raised their kids with a "bigger tendency" towards athletic prowess? Think about it.</p>

<p>lol tru
asians are pused, forced and required to study in a much higher level than americans or europeans. even so, asians usually lose to white :| that's why i gotta go to america to study :D</p>

<p>^ in what academic subjects do asians perform less well? I think I know: American literature.</p>

<p>Socials Sciences any critical thinking that sways away from math and science ^</p>

<p>social science is critical thinking?</p>

<p>Unfortunately, all stereotypes are really getting to be more and more skewed. But the stereotypes are getting more and more heightened in the minds of the general population since Prop 209. Unfortunately, cultural similarities of Asians are contributing to their earning "merit access" to the nation's top colleges. Their minority proportion in the microcosm of campus are often gross overexaggerations of the actual percentages of asians in the regions as wholes! Still, I understand that many Asians enjoy their niche in their study-groups & Asian student associations. But they are getting to come to replace the traditional concept of the white elitist club, now that more and more asians are displacing other race groups. </p>

<p>Also, similar cultures among asians also effect parameters of campus involvement and future goals: that's why I love it when I meet a Japanese artist or a Chinese designer. It's sad that (statistically) race is an infuential factor in the choice of future careers of prestigious, high-paying jobs. The push among Asians for education is aimed superficially for the goals of success based on money and fame. It's sad, but it has been engrained into the Asian culture now for millenia. I only hope that our new generation can help to cull a new more creative, open-minded image for Asians in universities.</p>