Does UC select randomly for PIQ plagiarism or everything?

Does UC select PIQs randomly and check for plagiarism or do they check every one of them?

Because it seems like they have already sent out plagiarism email to students, (I saw post here saying they received it), and I have not received one. My essays are my work but I was worried a chance it could be similar to others. So does that mean I dont have to worry about getting the emails anymore? Are this plagiarism check process over if anyone knows?

All PIQ’s are read twice according the UC counselor information that I have but I would imagine any possible “red flags” noted by the readers would be flagged for further review.

Also a random verification of applicant’s EC’s are done each year.

I had heard that the random verification was done on about 10 percent of applicants each year. Is that your understanding?

Also it can be on any part of the application, not just the PIQs. Is that also correct?

I have heard around 1-2% of the applications are randomly selected for verification which can be any part of the application but if there is something of interest or concern in the PIQ’s and EC’s, then these applications can also require verification. In this instance, in OP’s case this is not random.

Up to 15% of UCB’s applicants can be asked for LOR’s while for the other campuses, up to 15% of applicants can be asked for an augmented/supplemental review.

1-2 percent makes a lot more sense than 10 percent.

Thank you for clarifying!

1 Like

I would think the plagiarism check is software driven. So, theoretically the check can be run on 100% of the PIQs. The LORs and random checks are likely much smaller samples.

3 Likes