Does University of Wisconsin do Early Action?

<p>?</p>

<p>Get important facts directly from university websites, do not rely on anon 3rd parties. Sheeeeesh!</p>

<p>UWisc does rolling admission but each campus has slightly different schedule. Madison has 2 deadlines with 2 notification deadlines too. If you apply early and is accepted, you will receive the acceptance notice earlier than the notification deadline. For instance, the notification deadline of the early November round is the end of January. My D applied in earlier October and received the acceptance notice in November.with a 6 week turn around time.
So it is a kind of EA although it is rolling.</p>

<p>Check wisc.edu for specifics but – there are two admissions deadlines, one in Nov and one in early Jan. Students with complete applications by the first round deadline will receive a decision by the specified date – early January, I think. </p>

<p>Possible decisions are: Admit, Deny or Postpone. Many students are postponed for consideration with the rest of the pool in the second round. From watching several years of admissions cycles (my kid is there and a bunch of his friends), in the early round, high stats kids will likely be admitted (3.8 unweighted, 33+ ACT) while most who are qualified (3.6+ and 30+ ACT) will be postponed and chances for admission are good, but may not get an answer until March etc. </p>

<p>Illinois is a good one for certainty – they release all decisions on two dates, one in Nov/Dec and one in Feb. If your app is complete for the first round, you get an answer in the late fall. Indiana is more typical rolling admission, more or less a first in, first out decision cycle. </p>

<p>So the early admissions deadline is non-binding?</p>

<p>No. It is not binding. Rolling admission means the notification may come earlier if apply earlier. My D received the notice more than 2 months earlier than the latest notification date (end of January) for the first round of rolling admission. Unfortunately, you can only find the scheduled dates but not this kind of details from their website.</p>

<p>Awesome, thanks! Will make sure to get that app in early then.</p>

<p>@dman44‌,</p>

<p>@BrownParent‌ is correct, you must check these things out for yourself. Dates are far too important to fudge. Especially in college admissions. Last year, DD was told that Yale’s RD deadline was 1/1. Guess what? Her GC was wrong and the deadline was 12/31. Had I not nosed around on her laptop on New Years Eve morning, while eating breakfast at the dining room table, she would have missed the deadline. She made it just under the wire. People are well intentioned but human. Do yourself a favor & check for yourself.</p>

<p>Are you a Wisconsin resident? Interesting to note that 72% of Wisconsin resident applicants for the Fall 2014 freshman class were admitted.</p>

<p>This year the early deadline is 11/3. You hear back by Jan 31.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/applyOnline.php”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/applyOnline.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Im not a resident… what does that mean for me @Madison85</p>

<p>OOS applicants are not within the scope of UW’s mission to educate WI residents so OOS students need higher stats for acceptance than instate. An OOS applicant probably needs 3.7 unweighted and 30+ACT to be a serious candidate, but an instate student can have lower stats. Minnesota residents are in-between instate and OOS applicants because of reciprocity between MN and WI. </p>

<p>@dman44: What she ( @Midwestmomofboys ) said.</p>

<p>what about a 3.6 … a 30 …and a load of extra curric @Midwestmomofboys‌ </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Are you sure about that? The AVERAGE accepted for our OOS school was (3.5uw,1370). There was a cluster in the (3.3uw, 1200 CR+M) range. </p>

<p>I think that there is an instate pool, a MN pool and a OOS pool. They need the OOS tuition dollars. I think the competitiveness varies year to year depending on the size of the respective pools. I recall some years it was easier to get in OOS. </p>

<p>I think that it’s a budgetary thing. The OOS tuition dollars help subsidize the instate. </p>

<p>MInn is supposed to be admitted same as instate. Overall OOS accept rate was about 44%. Less for int.</p>

<p><a href=“UW-Madison freshman applications reach record high”>http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/uw-madison-records-record-for-freshman-applications-b99324700z1-269992571.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Extracurriculars do not replace academics. Better to have higher grades than many ECs. You may or may not get in. Improving grades do help.</p>

<p>Classic rocker dad – the 3.7 and 30+ is what I have seen, as a parent of anxious applicant and then as parent passing along advice here and in real life, as a solid basis for acceptance. Certainly there are admissions with lower stats, but the further from that range you get, the tougher it gets, especially the later in the application cycle you are. My kid knows many Chicago area kids at UW, and perhaps, for example, UW admissions knows those schools – whether suburban public or city private – really well, and know just how deep they can go in that pool. </p>

<p>Also the threshold to get admitted under early review is likely higher. Many will just get deferred to the regular admission pool. </p>

<p>This is slightly off topic but refers to the above post- if one has a low GPA they could improve by the regular admission date, should one apply to regular admission or do EA either way?</p>