Donation Closet?

<p>My son has decided to move off campus next year. There are a few things that we purchased for the dorm that he will not need/ use that I hate to just donate out, knowing that others may need them. </p>

<p>Is there an on-campus donation “closet”, or a group that specifically accepts donations for distribution to UA students in need/want? </p>

<p>If not, I will have him donate to goodwill or whatever is close by.</p>

<p>For business clothes, try this: [Crimson</a> Closet | SGA at UA - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://sga.ua.edu/sga-initiatives/crimson-closet]Crimson”>http://sga.ua.edu/sga-initiatives/crimson-closet) </p>

<p>UA Housing site said that upon move-out, there are donation bins in every hallway of each dorm. Maybe start one now, by contacting his RA?</p>

<p>Yes, the donation bins is what we will probably do. It is not clothing, it is dorm “stuff”.</p>

<p>guess you could offer the items here and see if anyone wants/needs them.</p>

<p>That’s very nice, that you want to donate to another student. :)</p>

<p>My daughter will also be moving off campus. We have some stuff (book shelf cubes, and the skirting for the lofted bed (pink and white)) and maybe more depending on how we decide to store her stuff.</p>

<p>I know a dear, dear boy that could use the donations. It would be really helpful to him as he won’t have a lot. He is coming in as a Freshman next year. I can figure out a place to store it as well… PM me if you would like more info. :-)</p>

<p>That is so nice of you, vlines. I’ve done some freecycle since son has been off to college. Lots of outgrown, hardly worn clothes. Donation stores here get so much, most of it goes in a dumpster. Would rather give it to someone I know can use it. Great idea on the donation closet.</p>

<p>My son graduates this May, and he will not be able to haul all his stuff home (we’ve moved and downsided). I advised him to see if any of his friends can use some items and then donate the rest. My folks will be coming for graduation so they offered to take a few things in their car, but my younger son and I will be flying down and back almost immediately (younger son is taking APs the following week). So we can bring just so much stuff home in our suitcases.</p>

<p>I really like the idea of a Donation Closet and will likely have a fair amount of things to donate as i don’t really need to use the 600 pound checked luggage allowance I have flying back to Seattle. JosieP, feel free to PM me as I’ll likely have some stuff items the young man needs. Maybe some of the posters on here will have some extra summer storage space.</p>

<p>The end of the semester donation bins go straight to the local America’s Thrift Store, which in turn donates an portion of the proceeds to Christian charities. There may also be a Salvation Army thrift shop, but I don’t know of any Goodwill or local thrift store chain in the immediate area.</p>

<p>It sounds like a really good campus charity program for a sorority/fraternity would be to have a campus donation closet.</p>