Don't count on ANY merit aid....

<p>Although I had heard from various sources that you shouldnt expect any merit aid at UW-Madison, I still thought I would receive SOMETHING, but I guess I had to learn it the hard way. I got an email yesterday saying that I had not received a scholarship. I am a National Merit Finalist with a 34 ACT, 4.0 UW/4.5 W GPA, good extracurricular and volunteer involvement, and I spent countless hours perfecting my essays. I am extremely disappointed, but its not going to change my decision to attend UW-Madison.</p>

<p>Yep, I’m in the exact same situation as you except 31 ACT. I’m really dissapointed too, I needed the money. :/</p>

<p>Most merit aid at UW is earned on campus. The departments control millions in aid and give it to their best proven students.</p>

<p>BoOwns - are you talking about your application for scholarships through the College of Letters and Science? Last year 1,200 (out of 5,700) incoming freshmen applied for these scholarships. There were about 35 scholarships, total and only 5 of these for nonresidents.</p>

<p>My daughter applied this year for the L&S scholarships and has not heard anything yet - you are saying you received an email?</p>

<p>BoOwns - with that GPA you should receive the one-time $400 William Vilas scholarship (automatically awarded, no application). About 150 incoming freshmen receive this (based on GPA, not need-based).</p>

<p>If you are a Wisconsin resident, filled out the Wisconsin Covenant form in 8th grade, and completed the senior confirmation process, you should also receive a minimum of $250 per year for 4 years.</p>

<p>So basically the L&S scholarships are mostly for residents?</p>

<p>[Scholarships@UW-Madison</a> - Scholarship List](<a href=“Our Opportunities - Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH)”>Our Opportunities - Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH))</p>

<p>(See 6th bullet point below)</p>

<p>College of Letters and Science
We are currently finishing up the review process for the 2011 Incoming Freshman Application and our scholarships officer plans on making offers via phone sometime in mid-April. We are aware of the deadline most institutions impose for acceptance (May 1st) and plan on notifying all applicants of their outcome before that date.</p>

<p>The College of Letters and Science uses one application to be considered for all eligible scholarships. Beginning December 1st go to MyUW and click on the Financial Tab on the top of the page. Proceed to <a href=“mailto:Scholarships@UW-Madison”>Scholarships@UW-Madison</a>. You must be an applicant to apply for scholarships.</p>

<p>Students receiving scholarships should demonstrate strength in at least two of the following areas: academic achievement, force of character, creative accomplishment, leadership, community service, financial need, and diversity. For more detail about these values go to: [Scholarships</a> | Student Academic Affairs](<a href=“http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/scholarships/criteria.html]Scholarships”>http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/scholarships/criteria.html).</p>

<p>The scholarship application contains four sections: a demographic section, a recommendation section, an activities and accomplishments section, and an essay questions section.</p>

<p>Important Information
•Do not wait to hear from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in regard to your acceptance to UW-Madison to apply for Letters and Science scholarships. Your admission will be verified prior to making an offer.
•To be considered for scholarships with a financial need component you must have a FAFSA filed. Please review the following site: <a href=“Office of Student Financial Aid – UW–Madison”>Office of Student Financial Aid – UW–Madison;
• The FAFSA information is reviewed in mid to late March.
•Scholarship payments are contingent upon continued enrollment and good academic standing in the College of Letters and Science.<br>
•All payments are deposited into the student account at the Bursars office in the fall of 2010. Scholarships of $3,000 or more are split into two payments distributed each Fall and Spring semester during the student academic career.
• Most scholarships available are for Wisconsin residents only. •Scholarships available fluctuate over time. The number of scholarships and amounts available can change without notice. This year approximately 30 scholarships will be available for incoming freshmen.<br>
•Last year more than 1,200 applications were received for 45 available scholarships.
• Please note you cannot complete the application at the last minute.
Please email <a href=“mailto:scholarships@lssaa.wisc.edu”>scholarships@lssaa.wisc.edu</a> with your questions or call (608) 262-4852. For more specific information and instruction about applying for Letters & Science scholarships please read through the web pages on the link provided below.</p>

<p>You should not expect money for doing well in HS. No one deserves money just for doing the work they have the ability for in HS. It is much better to give money to those who need it than to the many top students who go to UW. Where does this sense of entitlement come from??? You do the work, have the natural ability and of course you get the grades and test scores- so do hundreds of others. I would much rather see funds go to students whose parents aren’t as well off- those for whom a scholarship makes a difference in their college lifestyle. </p>

<p>PS- my academic scholarships made a huge difference to me back in my day- they were awards, not entitlements; I translated my work into some wealth and son didn’t need any.</p>

<p>Incoming freshmen who did not receive a regret email for the L&S scholarships are in the pool of potential scholarship recipients. Phone calls will begin next week and as the scholarship officer gets a commitment or as a scholarship is declined, she/he will work on down the list. We are hopeful since my daughter did not receive a ‘regret’ email.</p>

<p>So if we haven’t received news about receiving a scholarship, we should just assume that we don’t get one?</p>

<p>I believe that by now you should have received either a phone call or a regret email. My daughter received a regret email just a few days ago.</p>

<p>If you haven’t heard something I would check your call log on your phone- I just did and realized I got a call on the 27th when my parents were out of the house and I was at school. I don’t know why they haven’t called back, but if you can’t check your call log here’s the number: 608-890-0424. Hopefully my call tomorrow will be a good one :)</p>

<p>I haven’t received a call or an e-mail! What does this mean?</p>

<p>Have you heard back yet? I didn’t get a call and I deleted my spam e-mail so I figured the rejection letter got lost in there :/</p>