Dorm Checkout - Summer

<p>For those of you that have done this before - what time do students typically have to be out of the dorms on Saturday, 5/4? Don’t see anything on the housing website yet and I am trying to coordinate a flight, van rental, etc… for the move-out.</p>

<p>Looks like 10AM…[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/calendar.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/calendar.cfm)</p>

<p>Jeez, I just looked yesterday - why couldn’t I find that…don’t answer…</p>

<p>10 am Sat seems early since by the looks at things DD has 3 finals on Fri. Is there a move out process like the move in process or is it a free for all getting parking out front of dorms etc?</p>

<p>@Kaylynsmom That’s a shame to have 3 finals on Friday. I think I saw something on the registrars page that you can have one of the finals rescheduled when 3 fall on the same day.</p>

<p>As far as move out goes, My H arrived on Thursday and started the packing. By then, a lot of students have already left. Sometimes he had to wander around looking for parking. His impression is that it wasn’t bad at all. While DD was at her last exam Friday morning, he stayed in her dorm doing the finishing touches on cleaning and packing. They left by mid afternoon. You will need to make an appt with the RA for check out.</p>

<p>Their is no move-out help, if that’s what you mean. You just do a room check with the RA, hand over your keys, and leave. Before that, you pack and clean and pack and clean! :)</p>

<p>Definitely check into the rule about 3 finals in 24 hours that juniebug mentioned. Good catch! :)</p>

<p>Do you know if there is any leeway in that 10 a.m. checkout? My son has 2-3 finals on Friday - the latest isn’t over until 6 p.m. My husband can’t fly down until that Friday - if he takes an early a.m. flight he won’t get there until about 1 p.m. and will have to rent a car to get to campus (and then find my son, at finals, to get into his room). If he takes the Friday afternoon flight my son could pick him up at the airport about 7 p.m. but they wouldn’t get back to campus until after 8 p.m. Not a lot of time to pack and get everything to a storage space by 10 a.m. the next morning. </p>

<p>It’s doable I know - my son can be packing some during the week - it would just help if he had until 1-2 p.m. to be out Saturday.</p>

<p>I don’t know. Try calling Housing. </p>

<p>Housing and Residential Communities | Box 870399 | Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 |
(888) 498-BAMA or (205)348-6676
Email: <a href=“mailto:housing@sa.ua.edu”>housing@sa.ua.edu</a> | Giving | Privacy | Disclaimer</p>

<p>Hours: Mon-Fri: 8am - 5pm (CST)
Sat: 9am - 12pm (CST)</p>

<p>Thanks Juniebug, I will tell DD to check into it.</p>

<p>@ILMom2012 If your son has a car, perhaps he could rent the storage unit during dead week and start moving some things out of his dorm. I’m pretty sure my DD had this arranged before DH got into town. She didn’t have a car, but I think her boyfriend helped her move some of the things she didn’t need that last week.</p>

<p>My son had the last final at Christmas break and he was able to check out midday on Saturday. He had two finals that day. In fact, he’s always had finals on the last day, so we’ve always had to wait until Saturday to check him out. Every time, he’s had to check with the RA, for sure, but he’s sometimes had to check with the staffed desk as well. The RAs will have sign up sheets for check out times, but don’t wait until the last minute if you do have to request an extension.</p>