Dorm Housing at the Brand-New East Edge Apartments

<p>^^^I second the motion, SEA_tide.</p>

<p>Here is the official word: EE will have its CAs, and there will be a graduate student from UA on the property, but there will not be RAs at East Edge. That makes sense because the CAs actually do the same thing as an RA in addition to some additional responsibilities such as leasing apartments and working in the office. The CAs will be employed by EE, not the UA.</p>

<p>Here is a link to the tower cam at East Edge.</p>

<p>[OxBlue</a> Construction Camera: East Edge Tuscaloosa](<a href=“OxBlue Construction Time-Lapse Cameras”>OxBlue Construction Time-Lapse Cameras)</p>

<p>The first building on the screen is building 4 of 4 buildings and is directly across the street from DCH. The third building with the steel framing exposed is building 2 and houses the studios and one bedrooms. Building 1 has the pool and clubhouse and is nearest to the UAPD building and the Law School.</p>

<p>There are plans to put a traffic light at the intersection of Jackson Avenue exiting to Paul Bryant Drive.</p>

<p>Ah so this is what UA is doing as they phase the Bluff out. Nice, these apartments will be a great deal for anyone who can get them through their housing scholarship.</p>

<p>Bamamom2be: “These units are now available through University housing, all dorm move-in and move-out dates apply, but they will not close during breaks.”</p>

<p>We received a response to an email from the EE today saying there will be no move in dates prior to August 15 for anyone.</p>

<p>My son is late to the game for these apartments. He needs to sign up for a move in date but all that shows up is August 19. Are any of your students signed up for an earlier move in date, say the 15th? I didn’t know if the earlier dates were all taken or just not showing up. I know the 19th was the original date for moving in and than I was told it would be the 15th.</p>

<p>My son is scrambling because of band camp starting on the 12th. I am really hoping he will be able to move in on the 15th and just spend a few days somewhere else,ugh.</p>

<p>^^Can he bunk with a buddy in the dorm until then?..maybe a fellow band member?</p>

<p>He is working on that angle also. He needs to find a place to stay until he can move into the apartment. But what I’m now concerned about is the fact he has an offical move in time on August 19 but it would be much better if he could move in on the 15th. What I was trying to determine is do you all who contracted that the UA housing have move in times before the 19th?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help. Again, I’m more concerned than my son.</p>

<p>Who is assigning these move in times? Housing? If so, contact Bama Housing and ask to speak to someone with some power …Alicia Brown maybe? Tell them about the MDB camp issue and the NEED to move in before that.</p>

<p>I suspect the issue is that East Edge may not think that they are going to have the apartments ready before the August 19th move in date that has been assigned by UA. Our son is on campus doing research for the summer and after multiple contacts with UA housing, it doesn’t appear that there is any really good way to transition from his summer dorm into the East Edge apartments because UA housing assumes an August 7th or 8th transition date from summer housing into fall housing, which allows them time to prepare the dorms occupied during the summer for the incoming fall freshman class. </p>

<p>Currently, it appears our son will move from his summer dorm to another summer dorm on July 28th (the HHMI program terminates housing on July 28th), move from that dorm to storage on August 7th or 8th, and move from storage into East Edge on August 19th.</p>

<p>Mom- No one assigned the moving times. My son was originally going to be in the dorms until he decided along with his three roomies to take the ‘deal’ and moved to East Edge. After that transfer was done, he received an email asking him to cancel the move in time that we originally selected for the dorms and choose a new one for the apt. When I went to do that today, the only day that appeared was August 19, with various times available.</p>

<p>I know from communting with Alicia Browne that many folks are in the same situation as us along with sorority people. I guess in all fairness the apartments never advertised that they would be ready before the 19th. My son should have thought about that a little more before he committed to moving knowing band camp starts on the 12th.</p>

<p>Random- I hear you about all the moving. My son has stuff in storage also, so he has to find a temp. spot for the week of camp and than move himself in that weekend. ANd to top it off, we moved the stuff to storage while he was completing his final exams so he has no idea where the facility is.</p>

<p>^^^LOL. We had a little bit of frustration locating the entrance to the storage facility we used for the time between spring semester and summer. We knew where the facility was, but getting to the entrance was less than obvious. Your son not only has to find the facility, but also find the storage room at the facility.</p>

<p>I’m also in the same boat as y’all with the early move-in time. I have to be in Tuscaloosa August 4th for recruitment, and was planning to stay with friends, but it would still be nice to move in on the 15th vs the 19th so as not to impose. I called up to East Edge the other day and was told that they were under the impression that ALL residents were moving in the 15th, not just those who leased through East Edge, and that it would be no problem to move in the 15th. I then called UA housing to confirm and was told that I was wrong, and that under no circumstances could one move in on the 15th–then I was hung up on! Very frustrated with UA, especially as living in the dorms, I could have moved in the 9th at the start of rush week.</p>

<p>I’m in a similar boat as well, but with the Bluff instead of EE. My move in time is the 17th right now, but I need to move in the 15th before I leave for a conference! But I’ve sent several emails to housing and have been told flat out that’s not possible as the apartments will not be ready. So while I’m a little upset housing isn’t working with us, I kinda understand why. I do wish they would have told us earlier though that early move in was not going to be an option!! It was for me last year so I assumed it would be again.</p>

<p>zgrace - same situation here. My son was scheduled to move into dorms on the 10th. Is it possible that people contracted through housing will have to wait until the 19th and the others under a normal contract will get to move in earlier? I sure hope not.
I am thinking Alicia Browne is probably getting a lot of calls and emails from parents/students. I just wish we could get some correct info. Housing says one thing and the apartments are saying something different. My son is still calling people and trying to get a place to stay for the week. </p>

<p>Lets just hope the weather stays good and the place is finished early:)</p>

<p>We received this email, too. DS is already committed to Ridgecrest West, and he does want to be right on campus, but this new apartment opportunity sounds like a great option for senior year. Also…if he ends up going to UA for law school…while he would NOT presumably have a housing scholarship then, still, the convenience factor is a huge plus!</p>

<p>Interesting to see if the apartments will be ready for move-in on the 19th. The web cam still shows the parking lot filled with workers’ vehicles, the exterior of the buildings not completely finished, what appears to be furniture or appliance boxes sitting in the parking lot, and the parking lot itself appearing to still need the final layers of asphalt to be finished. Those who signed leases directly with East Edge (rather than going through UA housing) are actually scheduled to start moving in tomorrow. That may be a fun picture on the web cam.</p>

<p>We were actually at East Edge a couple of weeks back while my high school age son was at a computer camp at UA. The leasing office said that the only building that would be pushing it in terms of move in was building 3, which apparently is mostly (all?) singles. At the time we were told building 4 and building 1 were already completely finished.</p>

<p>Here’s the link to the tower cam:</p>

<p>[OxBlue</a> Construction Camera: East Edge Tuscaloosa](<a href=“OxBlue Construction Time-Lapse Cameras”>OxBlue Construction Time-Lapse Cameras)</p>

<p>^^^And for some added fun, click on the time lapse tab after hitting the link above. :)</p>