Dorm Layouts

<p>Hi everyone, I've been assigned to Kronshage, and was looking through the possible room arrangements on the housing site. However, they did not list a popular layout where both beds are lofted, and a tv set goes under one bed and a futon under the other.</p>

<p>Was there a reason they left it out or is the one provided on the site just a general guide?
For those of you who have lived on dorms (specify which), could you share some popular arrangements and some pros/cons with everyone else? Thank you!</p>

<p>Personally, I don’t understand not bunking. It gives you so much more room, and you can still have your own space within your desk area, but many people are against it. I do not know why. It makes the room even look so much bigger, too. My only personal problem I experienced with bunking was that there wasn’t enough room to sit up on the bottom bunk. The top has loads of space. Heck, I could even stand up straight (granted I’m only 5’1", but still).</p>

<p>I lived in Slichter, which has a similar design to Kronshage, with the built in dressers and closets and such. The reason they probably didn’t was because the only way to loft in some dorms, including Slichter and Kronsage, is to use the desks, hutches and bookshelves. With this, the only way to loft both beds is to have the beds sitting with the end of one bed to the head of another, so that they span the length of one wall. So you have a desk and a hutch holding up one side, the book shelves in the middle, and a desk and a hutch on another.</p>

<p>|bed||bed|</p>

<p>|dressers||closets|</p>

<p>Like that, if it makes it clearer. This way it wouldn’t make sense with one futon under one bed, and a tv under the other, as you can tell. So no one does it. Plus, with this, you can only fit a futon of length 56" or something underneath, which is fine for most, but many have futons much longer than that. Kronshage (and Slichter, Adams, Tripp, and so on) don’t have anything else other than furniture to loft, whereas dorms like Cole and Sullivan have actual lofts. If you care to look, they do show that layout under the Cole page. Plus, they don’t have built-in dresses, nor do they have the closets on the same wall.</p>

<p>There are people who do it the |bed||bed| way, which is fine. It leaves little room up top for the most part if you loft as high as possible, but eh. Plus, a great place to put your T.V. in Kronshage is on the dressers, and the fridge as too. That’s what many people who I knew did. Those built in dresser kind of limit what you can do, but I loved them.</p>

<p>As for possible arrangements, like I said, bunking or doing the trundle is not a bad idea. It’s not even unpopular in Kronshage and Slichter, even though people have apprehensions against it.</p>