Dorm Packing List Spreadsheet (Suites)

<p>Over the past 2 years I have emailed many Bama CCer’s the Dorm Master Packing List Excel spreadsheet that I created for my now junior daughter. Now that my S will be attending in the fall, I need one geared toward guys. </p>

<p>Would any of you be willing to share your improved, boy version with me? If so, PM me, please.</p>

<p>Peachtide…can you share the list when you get it. I would like to have it as well (
the guys version that is)</p>

<p>Guy Packing List</p>

<p>Basic minimal clothes
Toothbrush and toothpaste (for some guys only)
Comb
Gaming computer
Gaming system
Large flat screen TV
Snacks and drinks</p>

<p>You’re welcome :)</p>

<p>Ummmm…comb is also optional.</p>

<p>TP will be needed as it is not supplied in the suites :)</p>

<p>Haha! Comb could come off of our list, too!</p>

<p>You guys are too funny - I get the eye roll every morning because I constantly tell my son to “go comb your hair” before leaving the house. He always said he did but I can’t tell.</p>

<p>DD has more items pertaining to hair care than there are items listed on this entire Boy’s list!</p>

<p>Of course, her hair IS pretty spectacular (and it ought to be, lol )</p>

<p>Little sister mentioned that now we can start buying lots of stuff for the dorm. Son rolled his eyes and sees no reason to have anything other than a towel and sleeping bag. He thought we were crazy for talking about making curtains.</p>

<p>I swear, a prison cell may be more colorful then how the boy will do his room.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>Consider at least a cheap mattress pad, my S tried using a sleeping bag during Bama Bound, but it kept sliding off their ‘slippery’ mattresses. He didn’t want a memory foam one or anything like that, but we did get a cheap one along with some clips that go underneath the mattress in the corners to hold it in place.</p>

<p>And the boys do also need</p>

<p>a razor (at least for a week or two when they want to impress the cute college girls)
deoderant and/or soap (see above for the reason)
and a stereo with large speakers to connect to that flat screen TV (mentioned above) for surround sound</p>

<p>2012Mom’s list is pretty much spot-on!
My son made a proclamation that if his college gear/junk didn’t fit into his car, (which is very compact) it wasn’t making the trip. We’ll be lucky to fit in a wastebasket (“who needs that?”) after the bare-bones basics are shoved into all the crevices. I guess he will be making a trip to Target…</p>

<p>My son insisted on a <em>thick</em> memory foam mattress pad. Sleep is very important to him.</p>

<p>Tweezers. Don’t ask. Just get them.</p>

<p>The only ‘decoration’ my son wanted was blackout curtains. Sleep is very important to him.</p>

<p>Can I purchase a memory foam all-in-one pad that fits the extra-long twin? Or did you just buy the foam pad by itself and get a separate “regular” mattress pad?</p>

<p>We just bought ours separately. Used our BBandB coupons, as they tend to have a good selection of XL stuff come dorm shopping time.</p>

<p>Don’t forget Duct Tape. My son laughed when I packed it for him, but I told him to just wait and see, he will need it. He ended up using it and the packing boxes we left under his bed to make sleds when they had a good bit of snow at Miss State his freshman year. It was the hit of the dorm.</p>

<p>Oh, and Air Fresheners, the kind that spray every few minutes. Really helps hide the stinky boy smell. Well, kinda…</p>

<p>I’m just gonna throw this out there.
From some previous threads last year, it sounded somewhat ‘challenging’ and/or ‘awkward’ to get birth control from SHC, so you might consider…condoms.</p>

<p>Other things he can’t live without:
Brita water pitcher for fridge + reusable water bottle (and it actually looked clean for something he uses every day, when he brought it home with him a S.B.)
Q-Tips
Nail clippers
Tweezers - YES!
Tooth flossers - those individual ones that go between the teeth (not dental floss)
Blank envelopes in a variety of sizes + a couple sheets of forever stamps
Nice stationary/note cards (for thank you notes - yes, the need for these DID arise many times throughout the year)*
Umbrellas - he’s on his 3rd one (not all boys will use, but mine sure does)
Batteries - lots - these run all those remote controls and stuff…
Over-the-door rack/hanging system - the towels in bathrooms do not dry properly, and they will dry better in their rooms
The huge fuzzy body pillow so he can prop himself up against the wall where the bed does NOT meet the wall and there is an annoying 4" gap…</p>

<p>*this makes an incredible grad gift to get him his own monogrammed stationary - our neighbor did this for him, and it has been so useful, and makes a great personal impression on those he is writing to.</p>

<p>Things I thought he needed and he never has ever touched:
the iron and the small ironing board
90% of the “dress clothes” I sent - he uses the tux and 1 other shirt/pants set, that’s it.
the fancy write-on white-/bulletin board with the cute colour-coded markers and pins
cleaning supplies of any kind
cleaning accessories of any kind (e.g., toilet brush)
cleaning appliances of any kind (not even his suitemate’s vacuum cleaner, apparently)
that 2nd laundry basket (what, him sort?!)</p>

<p>What about plungers?
Drano?<br>
Any of that necessary?</p>

<p>^^ YES!!</p>

<p>Here’s a link to Peachtide’s girl list from last year.</p>

<p><a href=“dorm list master - Google Sheets”>dorm list master - Google Sheets;

<p>Edit - I think it was Peachtide…</p>

<p>Plunger was actually brought up last year. As I recall, a resounding YES. It think it was SeaTide who said that was something you do NOT want to wait on maintenance for. :)</p>

<p>Question: do any of the students build lofts in their bedrooms? If yes, do they have to be approved by someone? If no, is it because there’s no room, or because there’s no need for them?</p>

<p>The beds can be lofted. Housing requests that you not loft them yourselves, they will send somebody over to do it. DS chose highest possible loft because he desired maximum floor space. Sure is hard to make the bed, though.</p>