Dorm question

<p>Thank you - good food for thought. There’s something to be said for living in a community and not in isolation. In fact, my husband thinks it’s a negative to have your own room initially - something about rubbing off those rough edges …
As long as there’s a library somewhere nearby, and it’s not loud 24/7, I think Burke might be the place for us.
In answer to the obvious question, my son has visited, but didn’t get to see the dorms. We will probably pick a dorm, sight unseen. That’s why this thread has been so extremely helpful!
And yes, money is an issue. I’m sure there are other honors kids out there, that can’t swing the hefty suite dorm price tag.
One more question, does the new dorm, that will be up and going by fall 2012 fit in the “super suite” category and cost - from the description, it did…</p>

<p>Sounds like Burke is your choice so far. Why don’t you make a new thread asking specifically about Burke. Hopefully you can get more detailed info.</p>

<p>I saw that your S is going into engineering. Which engineering? Did he get the Presidential Scholarship? And the extra 2500 a year?</p>

<p>Good suggestion on new thread - will do. Yes, my son has the full ride and extra $2500. He’s planning to go EE with double major in math.</p>

<p>^ why double major in math? The engineering degree is math-heavy as it is. I don’t think the extra degree would be any more marketable. Every math related job listing calls for a degree in either math or engineering. Not sure how having both would open any more doors. Is there some other reason?</p>

<p>BTW, my son also has the Presidential plus $2500 engineering, and will major in EE (should he choose Bama).</p>

<p>Offered as a double major through the EE dept. Not sure which route he’ll go after grad school, whether it will be with engineering or math. Only 9 extra hours to have that extra degree under his belt…</p>

<p>My D is an EE frosh. Any chance your son will want to apply to CBHP? </p>

<p>Does your S have AP credits?</p>

<p>Have you considered the University Scholar Program? [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Son probably won’t apply to the CBHP. Doing my best to get him to do the UFE application before deadline of Dec. 15th. He’s got a lot of community service hours, and that’s more his bent anyway. We also may encourage him to do a co-op through UA (if that’s where he ends up - a whole different thread could start with THAT…). I think his plate is potentially full enough.
Yes, 6 AP classes and lots of DE.</p>

<p>The main vibe difference between honors suite-style residence vs. non-honors, non-suite-style is that in honors, everyone (with a few exceptions) is “smarter than your average bear,” and most everyone is very serious about excelling in the classroom, whereas the proportion of high-achievers might be lower in a non-honors residence. The main advantage here, in my opinion, is that it may be more advantageous and more fulfilling to become involved in the prevailing culture of an honors dorm than a non-honors residence. </p>

<p>That said, this is, IMO, certainly not a $3000 difference, as there are exceptional groups in which to be involved all over campus. I may be wrong, but I’m quite certain that Burke has study rooms, and I wouldn’t call it a “wild” dorm. It’s not too far from the main library, but I would not recommend studying at Gorgas. Paradoxically, most people think Gorgas is the best place to study and thus go there to study, making it crowded and really not a very pleasant place to study. There are great study places to be found all over campus; finding the right one will be up to your son.</p>

<p>Good suggestion on new thread - will do. Yes, my son has the full ride and extra $2500. He’s planning to go EE with double major in math.</p>

<p>Since your son is EE, he might want to study in the Eng’g library.</p>

<p>I haven’t been in the honors computer room lately. I’ve heard that it’s been changed a bit. Don’t know if that can be a spot for studying.</p>

<p>The HC is supposedly going to have some kind of study/relaxing area - but not til next year.</p>

<p>We continue to discuss “where to live next year” at our house, even though it’s months away, before picking a room and roommate. Current #1 pick is Riverside East; #2 is Burke. Wishing there were some housing scholarships floating around out there! But DS is more than fine with living in Burke; he even prefers aspects of it. You mentioned Gorgas, is that the primary library?</p>

<p>I enjoyed reading this discussion because son is class of 2014 and may have dorm changes next year if honors housing fills up.</p>

<p>One other point to having a ‘private’ sleeping room deals with colds and flus. (Okay, call me over protective.) But sharing common sleeping areas also shares any bugs circulating!</p>

<p>I think the suite concept is worth paying for. Kids can choose whether or not to be private and when to be private. Studying can occur there or in a library. I’m told my student does both. It has been very nice.</p>

<p>DS chose Bryant this year and has been happy there as an Engineering student. One perk that Bryant has is full sized XL beds, which he was very pleased to find. The noise factor has been an issue, however. Someone above him stays up all night every night playing loud music and complaints have not brought resolution as yet. We are certain to talk about options for Fall 2012 semester during the Christmas break because of this. (BTW, if any of you upperclassmen or parents have suggestions, comments or inside info about apartments near the campus please chime in)
As parents we really love the fact that living @ Bryant means DS does not have to have Commuter parking! His older brother and sister who lived in an apartment off campus several years ago certainly did their part to boost revenue with a LOT of parking tickets in Commuter lots back then…</p>

<p>Bryant is nice because of the larger beds, but they’re the same price as honors…which is what I think the OP is trying to avoid. </p>

<p>*And yes, money is an issue. I’m sure there are other honors kids out there, that can’t swing the hefty suite dorm price tag.
*</p>

<p>In fact, my husband thinks it’s a negative to have your own room initially - something about rubbing off those rough edges</p>

<p>Times have changed. While I think there was a time when sharing a dorm room was a “learning experience,” kids are different today (often more spoiled) and often not too willing to be accomodating to one’s roomie. (this I gather from threads in the Parents Forum.) </p>

<p>Plus, kids today have pricier items…laptops, iPads, etc, and when one has a roomie, then things can get broken or borrowed. A student can’t control who the roomie has over in the room and at what times. A pricey item can"go missing" after the roomie had a few people in the room.</p>

<p>I would search the high school’s website (or ask the GC) for any local scholarship opportunities and try to cobble some together. Or, if you have any larger scholarship offers from other schools, see if Bama will increase their offer.</p>

<p>Some have reported that those who are selected for CBH or UFE (and aren’t NMF), are often awarded some extra money to go towards housing. </p>

<p>Son probably won’t apply to the CBHP.</p>

<p>I don’t understand this. CBHP is designed for students like your son (eng/math). Perhap he doesn’t understand what it is??? For a student who has grad school intentions, CBH is the way to go. Having CBH on one’s resume, helps with grad school admissions.</p>

<p>Yes, after reading more threads regarding CBHP and talking more to DS, he knocked out the essay and submitted it over T.giving break. But you’re right - we don’t completely understand it. And it seems a little daunting, to think about CBHP, STEM, EE major and hopefully doing a Co-op. And he loved the thought of UFE. That’s definitely more his bent. We shall see :slight_smile:
But I certainly do appreciate how much there is to learn on CC! Being long distance, and probably not having an official visit till spring, there’s a lot to be gained from reading these posts. Thank you!</p>

<p>I’m trying to communicate to my son as to why he should apply to cbhp - and I must admit I don’t think I am doing a very good job. He is not a great writer - but if he is enthusiastic about something he can write about it. If I make him apply - and he doesn’t know why he is applying and what benefit there is - his essay won’t be great. </p>

<p>bruinsmom - I wonder the same thing as to whether cbhp will be too much on top of a computer science curriculum and hopefully the Million Dollar Band. I just don’t know if I should pressure him to apply or just let it go. I don’t want him to regret not applying.</p>

<p>You should have him apply. Hopefully he will be chosen to interview at the Finalist weekend in Feb. He can ask more questions and get to know the other CBHers.</p>

<p>CBH is a minor. The students take a CBH course every semester. See how that fits into their schedule. My D is an EE major and CBHer. She is a busy girl with a tough schedule. She is making it work. My D has friends in CBH that are in STEM majors and in the Million Dollar Band. Does your son have AP credits? That seems to help.</p>

<p>I say, don’t limit your options. Apply.</p>

<p>That said, there are certainly plenty of opportunities for people that are not in CBH. Many choices.</p>

<p>* And it seems a little daunting, to think about CBHP, STEM, EE major and hopefully doing a Co-op. And he loved the thought of UFE.*</p>

<p>Since your son has the tuition and eng’g scholarship, he might do better doing summer internships or REUs. Both of my kids have done summer internships, an REU, and a VIGRE program. </p>

<p>Co-ops extend your graduating time and since eng’g classes are sequenced, can cause other issues. Co-ops seem to be more popular amongst non-scholarship students since they need more help paying for college.</p>

<p>What’s REU and VIGRE?</p>

<p>REU…Research Experience for Undergraduates. Summer research in STEM majors.</p>

<p>VIGRE…Summer research for math majors. I think VIGRE is short for Vertical Integration.</p>

<p>These are summer research programs funded by the NSF…Nat’l Science Foundation. They are based at various univ across the nation (Bama has some as well).</p>

<p>Students apply in Jan/Feb timeframe. Univs are not allowed to give priority to their own univs’ students - they’re supposed to accept American students from all over (since this is a fed funded program).</p>

<p>These programs are fully funded…stipend, housing, and travel money is provided. Usually the stipend is about $500 per week. Housing is usually in a nice dorm…provided. Some programs include a meal plan.</p>

<p>Hmmm…that is interesting. I was a bit concerned as to how Co-oping would work with the engg course schedule and scholarships. Would love to have a summer internship or research option for my son instead of alternating term co-op.</p>