Dorm questions

<p>Do we know if the “pulling in” process is still going to be in effect this year? Just wondering.</p>

<p>have not heard otherwise, but the fact that a proxy code was given for this purpose for the upcoming honors upperclassmen selection is a good sign.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I can see doing it for upperclassmen, but I really question why they do it for incoming freshmen. It’s not really fair for kids who deposit early, but rooms get filled by other kids pulling in kids who deposited later.</p>

<p>the upperclassmen process is very different.</p>

<p>true dat :)</p>

<p>That’s why I wonder if they will continue the practice for frosh.</p>

<p>Bamagirl11: This may be “beating a dead horse” about this issue of housing, but have you spoken to your parents about your housing selection. I am speaking to you as a parent. Your parents may have an expectation that you continue to live on campus as a sophomore especially if they are paying the bill. I would discuss this with them and explain that if you choose to live in a non-honors residence the likelihood of remaining on campus your second year is virtually nil. </p>

<p>momof3boyz: If your sons are both in honors wanting to reside in honors housing and they want to choose Ridgecrest South they would need to select the North Tower NOT the South Tower. Only floors 1-3 of the North tower is currently honors. However, they should have a second option ready if rooms are not available. It seems like a lot of students are planning to stay in their same rooms there.</p>

<p>This is copied from the housing site:</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South is divided into two towers: North & South. The North Tower houses Honors students on the 1st through the 3rd floors and the South Tower is open to freshmen as well as upperclassmen.</p>

<p>Thanks for reminding me to review the housing selection with my older son. I needed to make sure we are all on the same page! </p>

<p>I just spoke with my rising senior. He doesn’t care which tower he gets. I just reminded him that he MUST select Honors so that my incoming freshman will be eligible for housing the following year (assuming housing criteria for non freshmen does not change next year). </p>

<p>This is a case of measure twice, cut once!</p>

<p>Momof3boyz: Your welcome, just didn’t want you guys to make the wrong selection. That’s me check and recheck…</p>

<p>i think they need to have a button on the room selection page that will show you only honors housing, in case those are the only options you are interested in.</p>

<p>they used to have a list…I guess it doesn’t exist anymore.</p>

<p>The Honors College living option in Riverside West, Lakeside West, Ridgecrest North and Ridgecrest West is available to members of the University Honors Program, International Honors Program, and/or Computer-Based Honors Program.</p>

<p>Also, Ridgecrest South, North Tower.</p>

<p>i think there is a list on the housing site, but last year there was no mention at all of not all floors of ridgecrest south - north tower not being all honors. so honors kids could have unknowingly chosen a room on a non-honors floor and then been excluded from housing for the next year.</p>

<p>I’m not sure that those kids would have been excluded since that tower is a mix of honors and non-honors.</p>

<p>If you are choosing during the Honors process the non-honors rooms aren’t available. The only time you would have the issue of ending up in a room that isn’t honors is if you move to another room after the process is open to all students.</p>

<p>well, you might have had room to argue, but i spoke to alicia browne about it last spring and she said that being in a non-honors room/floor would exclude you from future honors housing.</p>

<p>momofonly1 - yes, that makes sense, sort of. what about those who are in honors who want to live in, for instance, tutwiler. </p>

<p>we were late depositors, so we didn’t get to room selection until pretty late in the game.</p>

<p>If you choose to live in Tutwiler you will have the pick date that all the non-honors students have. Keep in mind if you do pick Tutwiler and are in Honors you cannot move to an honors dorm for your sophomore year. It is possible to move, space available, to an Honors dorm the 2nd semester of your freshman year, then you would be able to recontract as an Honors student in Honors housing.</p>

<p>That is exactly what my daughter did last year - picked Tutwiler over the honors dorms so her room pick date was later than if she would have chosen an honors room. The non-honors pick dates/times depend on when the housing deposit was made and luckily we had done that early on.</p>

<p>Since she lives in Tut, the dorm choices for next year are somewhat limited. She could have chosen to live in Tut again or move to a similar dorm. She has loved living in Tutwiler, but doesn’t want to stay there next year. Luckily, she has the opportunity to live in the sorority house next year and is very excited about it. When she chose Bama we knew she wouldn’t live in the dorms all four years, but thought we might at least get a second year’s use out of that housing scholarship! Oh well!</p>

<p>My daughter will be attending Alabama in the fall and she has 3 room mates selected. They are saving a spot for a friend of hers that is transferring from a Community College in the fall with them. She will transfer as a sophomore. I have encouraged the girls to not hold a spot for her because it sounds like transfter students will not be able to get on campus housing regardless. They are hoping they can enter her number and pull her in and we have been told several different stories by the people in housing, some say that may work, others say she needs to look for off campus housing. Will they be able to pull her in when it comes time?? My daughter is in the first round picks for non-honors housing and may get what she wants, but is worried she won’t be able to pull her friend in. What do you think the chances are? This is our first time dealing with all of the housing stuff. I am worried this girl will end up with no housing at all since most upperclassmen/transfers,ets. are already signing leases on apartments for the fall.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>i doubt the transfer student will get an on campus spot at all.</p>

<p>Oh, I agree. But try telling that to two hard headed girls that think there will be some magical way. I just hate for the transfer student to count on that and her not get any housing at all…on or off because she waited to see if she could get in. I can’t get a clear answer from housing either.</p>

<p>Was the transfer student able to pay the housing deposit and get a proxy code? If she did that…I would say the chances are good for pulling her in.</p>