Dorm Questions

I’ve looked through a lot of other threads concerning dorms and have a similar questions of my own. I’m not a partier by any means and would like to find a somewhat quiet dorm where I can focus on my studies. I know that lakeshore dorms would be my best best, but could someone recommend me some choices (side note- I prefer not to live in a dorm very distant from the city). Also I heard Chadbourne is a fairly studious and quiet place, even though its not lakeshore. Is that true?

All dorms are on campus-don’t understand what you mean distant from the city. The campus blends into the city. It is very walkable to get to State St from even the westernmost Lakeshore dorms. The UW campus is the vibrant part of Madison. You will need to consider the location and building style. Chad is located on a busy corner and a highrise. The Lakeshore dorms are max 4-5 stories and consist of many styles and ages, all away from busy streets (Observatory Dr. doesn’t have city traffic).

You need to review the Res Halls site for similarities and differences in dorms. None of us can tell you your style preferences. Some like older/newer etc. You can eat in any food service area for any meals. There are nice library study places all over campus. Decide which atmosphere you would like to de-stress in- some want high energy, others want nature outside their door.

I would live in Chad. It’s quieter than Lakeshore.
I currently live in Cole and basically 80-90% of kids come back drunk on the weekends. People are just loud in general. Lakeshore is also pretty far away from most classes.

Some of the dorms are closer to the State Street area, which might be what the OP is referring to as the city.

Normally when people talk about the city they mean East Campus Mall, State Street, or east of Lake St.

Not all Lakeshore dorms are like Cole. It could be those that returning students choose are not as party oriented since those students will have gotten over the freshman try everything/freedom need to party as much. Although every dorm available to freshmen is 50% (in recent years) some will be closer to 50% and others closer to 100% freshmen. Did you notice as much partying second semester as the first few months???