Dorm selection UW-Madison

<p>Hi. I'm an international student planning on doing chemical engineering. I got into UW-madison and was looking through the various residency halls. I'm pretty confused on which hall to have as a first choice.
I'm looking for something near the engineering hall. I'm not really a nerd and I'm not really into parties. I do want to meet new people and have a reasonable social life(like dinners/movies is fine and occasional parties). I was looking into Phillips Hall but I am open towards other halls as well. I also want to be the near lake where it's quiet but not too quiet.
Are there any halls which best cater to my preferences?
I also wouldn't mind private housing, provided it has a reasonable fee.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Do not worry about your major or classes when choosing your dorm. As an entering freshman you will have most of your classes in many different buildings. Being near any of the engineering buildings is not necessary. Also- you can study in any of the many libraries on campus, many in the Lakeshore area use the Steenbock Ag library since it is closest to those dorms. Lakeshore is my favorite area (lived there eons ago). All UW Res Halls dorms will have the same upkeep and amenities- exceptions such as air conditioning (for a higher price) are noted in the info online. No matter which dorm you live in there will be welcoming activities and you will meet people at the food service areas as well as in your classes and any organizations you join. </p>

<p>Look at the information on the UW Res Halls website for room layouts- including lofting guides and Google Earth birdseye views. Then decide if any most/least appeal to you and rank them. All dorms have pros and cons and all are similar enough. Res Halls food service is excellent and you can eat pretty much the same thing anywhere you want regardless of which dorm you live in. It is a hard choice, but no matter where you end up will be good. Being near the lake to enjoy it for stress relief is nice.</p>

<p>Hey! Thank you so much for this. It’s really helpful.
But, I might enter as a chemical engineer student because I can get credits from the HS exams I did and would end up doing the entire course in 3 years instead of 4.
So, I would end up having classes mostly in the engineering hall right?
I’m really keen on Phillips but I don’t know whether to choose the one with the Learning Community in Phillips. Would you know anything about the learning community there or elsewhere in general?
Once again, thank you so much</p>

<p>NO. You are entering as a freshman, any applicable HS credits won’t kick in as UW credits until you finish one semester- then you can get sophomore or higher status based on credits. Also- Engineering occupies several buildings, not just one. Choose a learning community if you are interested in what it has to offer. All of the information is available on the UW website- learn how to find it. btw- Chemistry at UW is excellent, AP Chemistry doesn’t compare. Likewise the calculus and physics taken as AP courses won’t be as much as those offered at UW.</p>

<p>You still need to get accepted to your major based on your UW record and a gpa earned at UW. </p>

<p>Rank your dorm choices regardless of your major. Next year you can move to any place.</p>