Dorms (again)

I know these kind of posts are already everywhere, but I just wanna be sure. I am an international student, and personally, I wanted to live in a more quiet place. I take academic seriously and also hope there isn’t a lot of partying noise in the dorm. Is it true that lakeshore’s dorm are more quiet compared to southeast? Can you tell me your experience at your dorm, and any libraries/dining halls near your dorm? Thanks in advance.

Yes, generally, the Lakeshore dorms will be quieter, in part because they are smaller buildings and hold fewer students than the big Southeast tower dorms, which each have 2 towers at 500 students a tower.

We toured Chadbourne, which is a learning community and is centrally located by Bascom Hill. My student found it too quirky, though as a parent, I thought it was very nice on the inside and has a smaller dining hall on the ground floor which seemed very convenient.

My student – who lived in southeast and was in Letters & Science, studied primarily at Helen C White (a/k/a College library), but also the Historical Society and others. College library has quiet floors, and regular floors, so a student can find the study environment they prefer. He would go the library for the evening, so it didn’t seem to matter if he was walking 7 minutes or 15 minutes back home at the end of the night, the distance back to his room didn’t seem to be a factor in where he studied.

Lakeshore dorms are close to the Steenbock (agriculture- that does not matter) Library. Res Halls has dining places, snack bars and the like all over. You are not restricted to eating where you live. Plus, pay as you go (Res Halls residents pay less the others)- no minimum or maximum. A wide variety of ages and architecture to be found so look at the Res Halls information plus things like Google Earth for ideas. Pros and cons to all dorms, they are all maintained.

It’s a crap shoot. I had friends at the “quiet” lakeshore dorm and it was not quiet. Dejope has more international students who stay past frosh year but I believe 1st year UW football team members now are there. Not to worry though they’re dead tired when the get back to dorms. Other option is to get an apartment and live alone but you’ll never meet or make friends that route. Stick your studies to the library. BTW avoid Witte - construction.