Dorms in Riverside

<p>Hi! I’m going to be a freshman this coming fall and I’m staying in Riverside! I was planning on packing with my mom and also just interested… Does anyone have any more pictures of a Riverside dorm room than is provided on the Alabama website? They provide good pictures but not good ones of the closet shelving, vanity area near bathroom, etc.</p>

<p>Also, I’m staying in East in an even numbered room. Will it face the campus or the courtyard area in the middle? Thank you!</p>

<p>My S lived in Riverside last year. When you get enough posts, PM me and I can answer some questions for you. Some of the students who are no longer in Riverside might be able to share room # info here, but since my S is returning to Riverside, I do not feel comfortable doing that on a public forum, sorry. You can also call UA Housing and get an answer to which way your particular room faces. In that particular suite formation, different rooms (i.e., A, B, C, or D) will have different views, so while the suite might be on a certain side of the building (campus or courtyard),your individual room will have a different aspect to the other rooms. Welcome!</p>

<p>^^^^. I like the use of “aspect”. ^^^^</p>

<p>Very nice.</p>

<p>Hi there!
If you’ll email me with your specific questions, we may have a few more photos that address your questions. And you can also email me your name or room number, and I can tell you where it is in the building. <a href=“mailto:jmgascoigne@sa.ua.edu”>jmgascoigne@sa.ua.edu</a>.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!
Janine</p>

<p>Or, I guess I don’t necessarily need pictures as I was just wondering basically…
What kind of organizers are in the closet?
What is the vanity area in the bathroom like… are there cabinets?
Do the rooms get humid?
Does the shower have a place to put soap/shampoo/etc, or is there a place to hang a caddy?
Do you need a shower curtain?
What color is the carpet?
Anything that you recommend bringing?</p>

<p>I’m sure some of these are answered elsewhere but I didn’t see any threads specifically about riverside.</p>

<p>My D is also in Riverside East, and can I tell you how sad I am that I have not found any posts with the tape measure madness similar to those about Ridgecrest. We are interested in the answers above as well.</p>

<p>Daughter lived in Riverside her freshman year. If we remember correctly, the carpet is brown. The shower curtain is just like the other dorms, a white one is provided but the shower rings have outer hooks that you can hang a decorative curtain if you like.</p>

<p>The closet doors slide rather than swing open like RCS so you can’t use over the door hangers/bags/etc on the closet doors. There are three wire shelves inside, if I remember correctly, two are the full width of the closet and the lower one is half. They are the kind of shelves that you also use for hanging clothes.</p>

<p>D used an over the shower head caddy for shampoo,etc.</p>

<p>The bathroom vanity isn’t as wide as RCS. We think we remember there being two small drawers and then the under the sink space. But we can’t remember it exactly.</p>

<p>In the shower/toilet area is a four door cabinet which was very handy.</p>

<p>Hope this helps some :)</p>

<p>My son lived in Riverside West last year. A shower curtain was provided, but not a bath mat. That was our first purchase after move-in. I’m pretty sure the closet had coated wire shelves, but I don’t remember the number of shelves. In RSW, he was in an odd numbered suite that did not face the courtyard. The “A” room was closest to the front door, “D” was at the back of the suite.</p>

<p>Ok thank you guys! Thats helpful. Maybe I should start a tape measure madness thing for riverside… I can’t be the only one wondering!</p>

<p>Which measurements do you need?</p>

<p>The blueprint of this dorm really is pretty accurate, with 1 exception: the closets. They are not 3’ long - they are nearly 5’ long. Two closets are side by side between rooms B and C, for example, and they run the width of those rooms, so right there that is 10’ in total length. <a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/riverside/floorplans/RSE-Four_Bedroom.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/riverside/floorplans/RSE-Four_Bedroom.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
The shower diagram does not show the cabinets, which are built in next to the shower, along the wall perpendicular to the door. So, as you face the shower stall for rooms C & D, for example, these cabinets are floor to ceiling, to your left. There is a lot of storage space in there.
Also note that each Riverside suite has a separate storage room accessed outside in the hallway, next to the mechanical ‘room’.
Finally, this description of the measurements is probably all you really need: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/riverside/]Student”>Riverside - Housing and Residential Communities) . The beds canNOT be lofted as high as those in Ridgecrest (that you saw on your tours). So, you cannot put the dresser or any furniture under there - just some storage bins. Note that the blueprint show the desk and nightstand combined into one item. They can be separated, but you might find the desk surface area a bit small. The nightstand does NOT have a locking mechanism. Some other dorms do have a locking drawer. Hope this helps! Good luck.</p>

<p>The dresser will fit under the bed, but you lose the top as a surface. Daughter had her dresser and a short storage bin under her bed the year she lived in Riverside E.</p>

<p>I stand corrected, bamamom. maybe that’s why I felt you couldn’t put furniture under there: you lose the top surface area. The website says the most you can loft is 33 inches of clearance.</p>

<p>This sounds very similar to the setup in Ridgecrest East with the swinging closet doors etc.</p>

<p>Also note that each Riverside suite has a separate storage room accessed outside in the hallway, next to the mechanical ‘room’.</p>

<p>What?!?!?! I never knew this!</p>

<p>Son and his roommates used the separate storage room for their Riverside suite to keep suitcases, empty TV or printer boxes, large plastic storage containers, and the vacuum cleaner. The room could also be locked. And yes, he also had his dresser under the bed, which came down too low so he lost the ability to use the top dresser surface.</p>