Dorms -- Single room for international freshman

<p>Hello everyone</p>

<p>About the university housing, it says that most freshmen live in a double room. However, if i feel more comfortable to live in a single room, what should i do?</p>

<p>Should I (an international student) stay in a private residence hall instead like Lucky101? Or should I wait and see if i will get a single room or not?</p>

<p>Does a private residence hall always garuntee the place?</p>

<p>The private dorm will guarantee whatever you sign-up for. Might be better choice for you.</p>

<p>You are not likely to get a single room with Res Halls- there are few available, in only some dorms and many will already be taken by returning residents. Once you sign any housing contract you are legally bound by it. If you have signed the Res Halls contract the only way to get out of it is to not attend UW and notify Res Halls separately from UW in writing.</p>

<p>If you choose to sign a private housing contract you are bound by it, even if you do not attend UW.</p>

<p>The above legal stuff done with, you may be best off with a guaranteed single room in a private dorm/apartment. Always read the fine print in any contract. Be sure you want any meal plans you sign up for (none required with Res Halls but you get their discounted prices in their dining halls- anyone can eat in Res Halls dining places and pay full price).</p>

<p>Do check details. For some you get your own room in an apartment but share the kitchen, bathroom and living area. Check on what you need to bring- dishes, silverware, pots and pans, cleaning supplies. Do you have to do your own cleaning? You need bed linens and your laundry supplies, plus personal items no matter where you live.</p>

<p>I am assuming finances are not an issue for you- there are other threads dealing with comparing costs you can view.</p>

<p>i have signed the contract and deposited $300 =( (didn’t know about this dorm at first) this means i can’t cancel it anymore right? and i couldn’t get a private dorm right?</p>

<p>Yeah, you can’t cancel it. Try putting Adams at the top of your list, it’s mostly singles and has an international community. After that if you want a single put Barnard, that is mostly singles as well. Merit House has some singles too, as does Smith, though that’s expensive. Put all those at the top and you’re maximizing your chance of a single, though you still might not get one. They’re hard to get.</p>

<p>You could email Res Halls with your question about cancelling your contract. I doubt they will let you out of it but if you really prefer a private dorm it is worth a try. I think you will do well to stay in Res Halls with a roommate since you will be new to the US as well as college. You do not need to become friends or do things with a roommate. Many US college students today have had their own room growing up but do fine sharing a space in the dorms.</p>