Dorms

Hi I just got accepted to UW-Madison and I am SO EXCITED! I’ve been looking at dorms and I wanted some opinions on what would be best for me. I’ve heard that Southeast is more of a socially active area and that Lakeshore is a little quieter. To what extent is this true?
I definitely want a bathroom in my dorm so I’ve been looking at Merit, Phillips, and Smith mainly. Idk whether I would rather go to Lakeshore or Southeast.
Personally, I love going out on weekends, but also I don’t want to live in a dorm that has constant noise and partying. I don’t like to stay up super late on weekdays (I usually go to bed around 11). I’m pretty serious about studying, but also I like to go to libraries rather than do work in my room. Any ideas of where would be best? Thanks!

You need to read the online UW Res Halls info. First decide general location- lakeshore or southeast. Look at the various dorms and see which building age/style most appeals to you. All dorms have the same basics/maintenance but they vary a lot in style. Look at your dorm as the place you will not only sleep and study but the atmosphere you want to de-stress in. Some like to be able to be close to the lake, others prefer the city outside their building. You can walk to State St or along the Lakeshore path towards Picnic Point from any dorm but distances will vary.

No one can tell you which list of priorities best fits you. Every dorm has pros and cons- which they are depends on the person. You may not get your first choice. You will rank all dorms then there computer lottery will do the matching in May(?).