Dorms

<p>When do we find out what dorm we will be in for the coming semester. Also do people usually get dorms in their top 5, or have people been known to get like the last one on their list</p>

<p>They say first week of June.</p>

<p>As for Dorm assignments I think in-state students get first pick.</p>

<p>I've got a feeling OOSers like myself are going to get shafted even though we flip a massive bill.</p>

<p>i thought they did a random lottery process for all students? (regardless of what state they hail from) maybe I'm wrong</p>

<p>I read somewhere on these forums awhile ago that there's an instate lottery and then an OOS lotter.</p>

<p>Could be wrong though /shrug.</p>

<p>If you had your initial deposit in by March 15 (?), OOS and instate have equal chances- OOS students did get Liz Waters last year, since 1/3 of entering students listed it as their first choice they didn't discriminate against OOS students. Also, Res Halls and the University are two separate entities- your tuition bill has nothing to do with the dorms (would you like to pay more for housing, too?); and remember that if you tell one something the other does not know it unless you also notify them (ie, to get a deposit back if you decide not to attend you must notify Res Halls in addition to the university). Res Halls is not subsidized by UW, the students who live in it pay the costs. Read the Res Halls website on the UW website for official information. And, yes, you will get your room assignment in early June- when you go to SOAR you will know which one you have so you can go to the proper dorm to see a model room during the housing tours. Getting a first, or tenth, choice depends on the luck of the draw, if you ranked the most popular dorms highest and get a poor lottery pick you may not get one of your top picks, or you could get the most wanted dorm if your number came up on top... computers are good for this task.</p>

<p>If I get a lake shore dorm, ANY of the lake shore dorms, I will not be upset.</p>

<p>I will be frustrated if I get a Southern dorm and it's not Ogg, though.</p>

<p>Yeah I want a lakeshore dorm too.</p>

<p>One thing I don't understand is how you can not have carpet in some of those dorms. Must get awfully cold.</p>

<p>come on new ogg come on</p>

<p>I will be frustrated, if I dont get a lakeshore either.</p>

<p>Read the Res Halls info online about the size of rug that is the biggest that works for your room once you know it- it is a lot easier to keep tile cleaner and wipe up spills than with carpeting, at least some hallways are carpeted- better for noise control. You would want socks, slippers or shoes to keep your feet warm in winter, regardless of the flooring.</p>

<p>I don't know if the dorm really matters all that much, my mom was just telling me how people don't even spend most of their time in them. She says people spend a lot of time at libraries studying where they can actually get peace and quiet, or out doing stuff. Basically people just go to the dorms to sleep or party, in her experience.</p>

<p>The dorm as your home space matters to some- I visited friends often in the oldest dorm on campus but found it too depressing to live in. Each dorm has pros and cons, you are unlikely to get the last dorm of your around 20 choices so don't worry. You will find compatible people and things you like in every dorm. Remember to explore all areas of the campus next fall- regardless of where you live it will be easy to "get back to nature" or "go where the action is". I ended up studying in my dorm since everyone else went to the nearest library- leaving it quiet. Everyone has their own experiences- get two or more alumni from the same era together and you may think they went to different schools!</p>

<p>
[quote]
Everyone has their own experiences- get two or more alumni from the same era together and you may think they went to different schools!

[/quote]

Agree! But some good oldies are timeless ... the Union, Babcock Ice Cream, Picnic Point etc</p>

<p>True. I was thinking of all the alternate lifestyles ... (first sentence was too short for the site so I added another).</p>

<p>I have heard of one or two people getting their very last choice. I got my 8th.</p>

<p>When I was a freshman at UW living in the SE dorms (Sellery) I wished I had been in the Lakeshore dorms. Now my daughter heads to UW and the campus has changed. The SE dorms are in the center of the activity at UW and the Lakeshore Dorms are more remote (unless you are an engineering student or in the sciences). If you are in the L&S school and/or taking classes in the business school, SE dorms are the most convenient. If you like using the South East Recreation Center (SERF) or plan to attend events at the Kohl Center, SE dorms win. If you want to be closer to State Street...again SE wins. If you like a more scenic setting, the Lakeshore dorms win, but with this comes more walking over the Hill...not an issue on a nice Fall day, but not as much fun when the Winter winds start blowing. You need to factor in what the dorms are like inside too...new dorms like Ogg are very nice, but you pay a premium for this.</p>

<p>can you be released from the contract if you don't get your top 5 choices?</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure you can't.</p>

<p>No- only if you do not attend UW. They make it very clear before you sign. Don't worry too much, you may even have second thoughts about your first choice dorm once you're on campus. Every dorm has pros and cons, everyone is part of the same campus. The assignments are supposed to come out before the first SOAR session- which is June 7th. They were out around then last year also. Just a bit more patience.</p>

<p>They're already out. Lots of people around the Wisconsin area have already got to know where theyre living and who theyre living with. I'm just waiting for mine to arrive by snail mail in Hong Kong!</p>