Double Degree Dilemma essay (written by David Lane)

I agree with compmom and tiggerdad-- in my daughter’s experience, doing BM and MM at a top conservatory, she had friends who did BM degrees but went on to med school, law school, business, school–or to work in nonmusic areas and music admin. Of course, the large majority did go on in music, but it’s not unusual to choose a different path. In her MM degree she had many in her cohort whose undergrad work was done at academic institutions, often Ivies or similar with good music programs. For them, the hurdle was passing the audition in competition with peers who did conservatory degrees, but many did pass and have gone on to careers in music. In one case I know of, a young woman who was very successful in music in her precollege years did a BA at Harvard, and MM at Rice, and is now in law school. Sometimes making a choice feels like shutting doors, but it’s really more like lowering a window–that can be reopened in the future.

My daughter’s short list of schools included those where she could pursue a second degree. Specifically, she was interested in neuroscience/cognitive science. At the school she is attending, the plan was that she would take a class or two a year and then spend a 5th year taking only classes related to the second degree. She would keep her scholarship for the 5th year, could attend VP lessons and studio and also try out for productions - so there was an upside. She’d “graduate” with her 2020 class but then be in this “not an undergrad not a grad student” state for a year.

She dropped the second degree at the start of her junior year. It was a combination of things of which the top issue for her was time away from her voice performance studies and top issue for us was cost. She’s a kid that needs some downtime to do her best and this was a good decision for many reasons.

I remember reading in this forum about a student graduating recently from Michigan with degrees in both engineering/CS and music performance and thinking WOW! So it can be done.

@buoyant - you have raised an issue that I have wondered about but have no insight into. Is it possible to keep a merit/talent scholarship for a 5th year when you would have obtained the BM in 4 years but for the choice to do a dual degree? That is definitely an issue for us. We are prepared to pay for 4 years of college, not 5. If S doesn’t deviate from the path he’s chosen, he will likely need at least another semester and I am not quite sure how that will work out. For now, I am not worried about year 5 as I have heard many stories of kids starting out dual degree and then making a choice to follow just one path or the other. You are the first person to raise my hope that maybe it is possible to have that 5th year at least partially paid for.

You need to ask each school about merit aid for anything beyond the 5th year. It varies. Some scholarships are only for 8 semesters. You have to read the terms for every one and ask questions. My D (not music) had a full tuition scholarship that was good for a 5th year to complete a coterminal masters program. I don’t know if it would have continued for that fifth year for any other purpose.
I have the same question though with regards to my son, as he is looking at some programs for music education that would take more than 8 semesters to finish and we need a plan for that. I think federal financial aid (Pell and such) runs out at some point as well.

Can someone please indicate where I can find the forum in which a student graduating from Michigan with both engineering/CS and music performance degrees?! This is exactly what my son is trying to do.

@pdxtigermom - it was @MomOf2TeenGirls daughter and the string was “Vanderbilt Blair or University of Michigan SMTD (Clarinet)” another responder had a son graduating with cello and math.

@buoyant thanks!

Hi, @pdxtigermom
I’m still around occasionally and just saw your question about UMich double degree. My post Double Degree Update in this forum has a brief summary of my D’s experience graduating 2018 with BM in horn performance and BS in Biomedical Engineering. Happy to answer any questions. Might be best to PM me.

@compmom - Montclair State doesn’t have an engineering school, or any ABET accredited engineering programs. They have “audio engineering”, but that isn’t engineering (as in electrical, mechanical, civil, biomedical, chemical, etc. engineering) despite the name.

Montclair State has accounting and music but not engineering (former employee).

1 Like

Did I post about Montclair State? I don’t remember doing that :slight_smile:

Just saw this interview with soprano & neuroscientist Indré Viskon: http://operawire.com/q-a-soprano-neuroscientist-indre-viskontas-on-her-new-book/?fbclid=IwAR0Y58ow_9pca-Bl1cdD-7OwcFMT4JcjS3wvCAqY_XJ0_yCINTVzpL9xs3E

"Dr. Indré Viskontas is fulfilling two dreams, establishing herself as an opera singer while satisfying her intellectual side with the study of neuroscience.

Having earned a Masters of Music in Voice Performance and a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience, the lyric coloratura soprano teaches at San Francisco Conservatory of Music and at the University of San Francisco. Additionally, she, together with Dana Sadava, formed Pasadena Opera, where she serves as Creative Director."

@SpiritManager
I listen to her ( Viskontas and Kishore Hari cohosted) podcast “inquiring minds” weekly. https://inquiring.show/

Whoops - missed part of the spelling of her last name: Indre Viskontas. Sorry about that.

I am new to the forum. I have a HS junior who, like so many others, is trying to figure out the best way to incorporate music into the college years. He is interested in pursuing classical/orchestral music composition as well as strong liberal arts academics. Can anyone help me understand the difference between a BFA versus a BA? Thank you.

@InTuneMom Generally music composition is a BA or BM. If you’re looking at a BFA it may be for musical theater, or just that particular college’s way of categorizing it. The name of the degree is not the essential part when it comes to studying music composition - it’s the program itself. One can go on for an MM in Music Composition with any version of an undergrad music degree - even no degree. It’s all about the portfolio. Although performances/experience/networks can play a part. And some undergrad programs/paths will prepare a student better than others for post-grad programs.

InTuneMom did you read the essay “Double Degree Dilemma” up above?

A BM is an immersive program with 2/3-3/4 music classes, plus some gen eds. There is usually an “audition” which for composers involves an interview and, sometimes an instrumental audition (though again, not always).BM programs may be freestanding conservatories or conservatories/schools of music that is part of a college or university.

A BA in music is usually 1/4-1/3 classes in music (like a BM there will be theory, composition, music history and analysis, ethnomusicology, technology etc.). Often a BA does not have a performance component although performance can be integrated into classes, and credit may be given for lessons and extracurricular performance. Many musicians do a “music supplement” to their application with a recording, music resume, and letters of recommendation from music teacher/director.

Other options include double degree (5 years) with BA and BM. Double major within a BA program or major/minor.

Finally composers can major in something else entirely, continue to write, take lessons and get pieces played in extracurricular performance.

No matter what you do, most composers go to grad school. You need a portfolio of 3-4 pieces to apply to grad school. The best way to get those pieces is to have them played at school but also attend summer programs or use a site like Composerssite.

Feel free to ask questions as time goes on.

What about the kids who live to perform but want to ensure they are not starving artists? It seems that if one has an additional year to study and practice, one would be better equipped to be a working musician wearing multiple hats in addition to performance, no? I don’t see these kids in any of the “types” above.

1 Like

My kid performs. That’s what his masters and bachelors are in…music performance on his instrument. He also does recording and mastering, teaches, is a bookkeeper for a financial person, and teaches college courses.

You don’t need an extra year to build these connections.

1 Like