Double degree $ double major

<p>Hi! I am an admitted international student to wiscon and planned to study international relations and business. Is it a double major or double degree? Can anybody explain these two terms for me? Also, if I have a double major/degree, does that mean I need to pay double tuition fees in wison? Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>Don’t know about your int’l relations & business, but I do know you don’t have to pay double tuition. HOWEVER…unless you are extremely careful with picking classes and don’t have to drop any before the drop date, most likely to achieve the two degrees you’ll be at UW-Madison longer than 8 semesters. So plan on it costing more. Double majors are somewhat easier to do within 4 years, still not easy though.</p>

<p>D2 is a soph, moving towards a double degree within the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, and so far so good, but she is taking classes over the summer for the next two years. Even so, there is a possibility that she’ll have to pick up some classes over a ninth semester.</p>

<p>jnm- please explain how your D is getting a double degree instead of a double major.</p>

<p>Dream… the tuition is per credit for part time students (up to 11 credits). Full time students pay the same tuition and fees for 12-18 credits, there is an extra charge for those who take more credits in a semester. You are unlikely going to want more than the heavy load of 18 credits. Doing two or more majors could take longer than 4 years/8 semesters (even if you choose to spend time and money taking summer school classes). With most majors needing 120 credits you would need to average 15 credits per semester to graduate in 4 years, usually manageable for a single major (remember- a semester of 14 credits plus one of 16 credits is a 15 per semester average).</p>

<p>Don’t worry about this. A lot will be explained to you in your SOAR events before you begin, and you will learn a lot more about things once you are a UW college student. Be sure to get the official answers to your double degree/major questions at SOAR.</p>

<p>A double degree requires an extra 30 credits at least over the 120 for the first degree so unless you come in as a soph it’s hard to do in 4 years. A double major can be done within the 120 credits or with a few extra and in 4 years for most, if they want to and plan.</p>

<p>wis75–within CALS, D is in her 4th semester at UW-Madison, pursuing a B.S in Dietetics & also a B.S. in Life Science Communication, still undecided as to the specific track for that degree.</p>

<p>As Barrons said, a double degree does require 30 additional credit hours, but I think with a little bit of overlap within CALS requirements, D will ‘only’ have to take 24-27 additional credit hours. Counting the AP & placement credits she brought in as a freshman, she’ll end up with around 150 credit hours no matter how you slice it.</p>

<p>FYI, this has required no less than 15 hours per semester, and she’ll be in Madison this summer and next taking classes. She won’t be able to study abroad for a semester either because of the class sequences, i.e., some required classes are only available in the fall or spring, not both. But she did travel to Costa Rica over winter break to work on an organic sustainable family farm.</p>

<p>Fair warning, however, that 2 degrees NOT within the same college (such as the colleges of L&S & Business, as the OP is attempting) could be even more difficult with almost nothing besides basic GenEd classes sufficing for both.</p>

<p>My D is very busy but in the Madison can-do environment she’s thriving. Perfect place for a sky’s-the-limit person.</p>