Double Degree

<p>Hi, is there any possibility of pursuing a B.A./B.Mus. double-degree program (at the College of Arts and Sciences & the School of Music) at U of Miami? I'm particularly interested in math/computer science/cognitive science & piano performance/composition.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi wmgan,</p>

<p>You can pursue a double degree at many U.S. universities, including the University of Miami. But be forewarned, a double degree, especially one in music performance and science is very demanding, and will take more than the regular 4 years to complete, even with a heavy courseload each semester. I was also thinking about pursuing a science/music double degree before (in bio and piano performance) but have shyed away from it. You should also look into doing a minor in music if you are more science-oriented and music is something you want to keep for yourself, not as a career. Also look into if UM will allow you to double major in music perf and a science. A double major is also more manageable than a double degree b/c there are less required courses that you must fulfill for one degree with 2 majors, rather than 2 degrees.</p>

<p>Well good luck with your college search. I'm considering UM for their 7 year med program. Are you seriously considering UM?</p>

<p>My D just visited U Miami last week, and depending on merit aid that's where she wants to be next fall. She just about has the credentials for the dual honors program but wants to participate in club sports, activities, and just enjoying Coral Gables in general. Also, she was told by the advisor that the dual honors program is very rigorous, which we figured.</p>

<p>Too many students make the mistake of biting off more than they can chew first semester, which spoils the college experience, which would be a shame in such a beautiful environment and more importantly, for what we're going to be paying.</p>

<p>BTW, leejwwc, my D is interested in the 6+ year physical therapy program.</p>

<p>Thanks for your reply, leejwwc. Well... actually, I'm CONSIDERING Miami, but not really seriously. My high school restricts us to apply to 8 unis in the US, and as financial aid is a very important factor to me (I am an international student) - and I know that Miami gives several full-tuition scholarships, but very few - I'm not so sure if I want to take the risk of applying to Miami (getting a place without a scholarship wouldn't be of much use).</p>

<p>I recently auditioned at a common audition for Miami, Oberlin, Peabody and Baldwin-Wallace - I spoke with the rep from Miami, and she actually suggested that I apply first to the music school, because it's easier to get scholarships there than from the college of arts and sciences, and then add majors or something like that later. Not too clear about that, but I guess I'll look into it.</p>